1990 Johnson 60 hp stator.

lakesider442

Recruit
I have 1990 60HP VRO Johnson outboard. The motor starts and runs well, but will not run the tac or charge the battery. I've been told I need a new stator. My question is: Can I run the motor with the old stator without harming other electrical components?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Change the rectifier by FAR the most common cause for those problems. Who told you it was the stator.

www.cdielectronics.com has test procedures for the ignition components on your motor.

Last edited:

lakesider442

Recruit
local shop told me. Said because it was not charging, the stator must be bad. I decided to replace the rectifier anyway. If I need a new stator, a new rectifier won't be a bad thing .

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
local shop told me. Said because it was not charging, the stator must be bad. I decided to replace the rectifier anyway. If I need a new stator, a new rectifier won't be a bad thing .

Did the new rectifier solve the problem? If so dont worry about the stator. You wouldn't believe how many people come in each summer and ask me to replace the stator!!! I usually answer with something like "let me diagnose and decide what to replace." I may replace one or two stator's a season and that is with a customer base of hundreds. They are very reliable. Usually it is a merc I do stators on, cant remember the last J/E I did. For sure not in the last two years.

lakesider442

Recruit
I have ordered a new rectifier and will try that first. Thanks for the tips. In the meantime, can I run the motor without damaging other electrical components?

interalian

Commander
Just make sure the two yellow wires aren't shorted together or to ground and you'll be OK to run it. Think of it like a wall wart plugged into the wall but no device attached to the other side.