1962 Johnson Sea Horse 35 HP water pump

RustyRedneck

Cadet
Hey fellas, I just acquired a 1969 Larson boat with a 1962 Johnson Sea Horse 35 HP motor. The guy I go it from told me it needed the water pump worked on and had the new impeller o put in it. This the second boat I've owned with a motor and never did any work on he water pump in my 20 P Chrysler when I had it. Assume I know nothing about Johnson outboard motors. I've been working on cars, tractors, and small engines for years. Where is the Water pump on his old his unit and how do I get to it? Anywhere I can find the diagram? Danke Sehr!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
They didn't make a 35hp in 1962. What is the model number? We need to verify what model you have first.

RustyRedneck

Cadet
Just going by what I was told by the guy I got it from. Haven't looked for a model number yet. Got it home and parked it. I do know it says 35 HP Seahorse on it but that's about it. Pictures soon to follow.

G

the pump is in the motor leg,, regardless of what model year it is.

Waterpump repair kits are still available for this motor, but you do need the model number to order it..

lindy46

Captain
Should be an ID plate with the model number. 35hp would be a 1957-59.

RustyRedneck

Cadet
The impeller was with the boat when I got it. From what a friend of mine said, it should be a pretty easy install besides working through a small hole. I'll get pics up after I get them off my phone. Thanks guys!

lindy46

Captain
You have to drop the lower unit which requires disconnecting the shift rod through a small hole in the leg. If you have the newer double exhaust housing, you have to remove the outer plate held on by 2 bolts to expose the inner plate, also held on by 2 bolts, to get to the shift rod coupler. Remove the lower coupler bolt and all the bolts that hold the lower unit on, and the lower should drop down. The water pump sits on top of the lower unit. Remove the pump housing to get to the impeller inside.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Again, depends on the model. On the "Super Quiet" models you have to remove the rear part of the outer shell to access the big bolt holding the lower unit gearcase on.

And of course the 35hp reappeared in 1976, but a different motor entirely.

valvebounce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You may find the bolts are siezed,steel bolts in aluminium causes aluminium oxide to build in the threads.Oil wont release the bolts,
White vinegar kills aluminium oxide,soaking overnight sometimes works.If not,a little careful heat might be the answer.
If you snap a bolt off(which is easily done)it will have to be drilled out and re-tapped,more than likely to take an oversize bolt.