1988 20hp evinrude converting to 35hp & adding electric start

jasper60103

Commander
Yea, I used to run a rev limiter power pack. I just recently replaced it because it was showing signs of failure.
Now I run a non rev limiter and monitor the tach whenever I run near WOT, which is not too often lately.
It feels too scary fast for me. Guess I'm getting old. :)

If you feel the motor has more to give, you could try a bigger prop.
But I would wait until you have a typical load before deciding. This is just my opinion though.
I know I could exceed the RPM range as I'm usually alone, but
the prop is just right when I have a buddy.
Oh, don't mess with the fuel lines, there same the size for these motors.

jasper

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Great news. I'd still like to see some pics and videos if you have them. I prefer photobucket as its easy to upload to and then when you insert those into your post here, you can put in really large high resolution images since this forum isn't storing them but reading them from the photo's photbucket address. Just don't delete them from photobucket or the link will be broken and quit showing up here.

I'd also check the timing if I were you just to make sure. It's pretty easy with a timing light on the water if its calm like early morning.

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
alright guys here are the finished photos after the conversion i have a video of the first crank and after i finished up the electric start ill get on here later the beat up prop picture on the floor is my old one and the used one on the foot is what came off the donor motor

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
Another update... well not much of one I ran my engine in the tank today due to not having time to take it out I rechecked timing I couldn't tell if it was on 30 or 32. Gonna have another set of eyes look at it Monday after work overall the motor is running and idling like a champ

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
Yea, I used to run a rev limiter power pack. I just recently replaced it because it was showing signs of failure.
Now I run a non rev limiter and monitor the tach whenever I run near WOT, which is not too often lately.
It feels too scary fast for me. Guess I'm getting old. :)

If you feel the motor has more to give, you could try a bigger prop.
But I would wait until you have a typical load before deciding. This is just my opinion though.
I know I could exceed the RPM range as I'm usually alone, but
the prop is just right when I have a buddy.
Oh, don't mess with the fuel lines, there same the size for these motors.

jasper

Jasper took it out today smooth water cranked up great idels great and I take off and it has plenty of power about 10-15 seconds later close to wot it dies out like it's bogged down and it's doing it every time the motor doesn't completely die but it has a loss of power equal to idle and you can give it full throttle while doing this and nothing happens sit for about 10-15 seconds and take off to about 10-15 seconds later almost to wot and it does it again. Right now I'm fully stumped on it any ideas

jasper60103

Commander
Jasper took it out today smooth water cranked up great idels great and I take off and it has plenty of power about 10-15 seconds later close to wot it dies out like it's bogged down and it's doing it every time the motor doesn't completely die but it has a loss of power equal to idle and you can give it full throttle while doing this and nothing happens sit for about 10-15 seconds and take off to about 10-15 seconds later almost to wot and it does it again. Right now I'm fully stumped on it any ideas

Yea, it sounds like my motor when the power pack was going bad. It would even quit sometimes and would start right back up. This is only my experience not a diagnosis though.

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
Jasper,
I was looking everything over and took my carb off to clean I just glanced over at my tank and noticed that the vent was completely closed I think I may have found my problem

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
Great. Keep us posted.

so i took it out this afternoon the vent wasnt my problem i could run it close to wot it would takeoff and idle fine but when i got up to speed it would bog down i could keep the throttle at wot and around 3-5 seconds later it would clear up and take off fine again i believe im having a fuel problem but i dont know where to start the carb is clean the bulb on the hose stays semi tight could i be loosing fuel somewhere?

interalian

Commander
If it loses power after a few seconds of WOT, try pumping the primer bulb and see if it picks back up. If so, bad fuel pump or low float in the carb. Likely not ignition.

bowfisher2636

Seaman Apprentice
If it loses power after a few seconds of WOT, try pumping the primer bulb and see if it picks back up. If so, bad fuel pump or low float in the carb. Likely not ignition.

I'm leaning towards fuel pump but do you care to explain a little more on the low float in the carb?

interalian

Commander
A low float level could cause starvation due to there being too little fuel in the bowl, combined with the angle the motor is running. Not as likely as weak fuel pump I'll admit.

Easy to test for fuel starvation by pumping the ball when it's acting up.