87 25 hp. How to tell if the engine has a charging system

Spartans

Seaman
Got a 87 25 hp. Serial no indicates motor was originally a rope motor but PO added electric start later on.
How can I tell if the charging kit was also added? PO does not remember.

If not there can I add it? I'd like to be able to charge batteries.

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any yellow wires coming from under the flywheel ?-------Easy to add a charging kit if you need it

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
This diagram below from the parts catalog shows the parts of the battery charging kit. The rectifier #14 and the terminal block #10 should be obvious if the kit has been fitted. The stator coil assembly #11 will be under the flywheel but the yellow leads going to the terminal block should confirm its presence.

Alternatively clip a volt meter to the battery. If the motor is fitted with a charging kit you will see the volts rise once the motor is started and the battery recharges.

convert

Spartans

Seaman
No Title

sorry finally got back to this looks like it has a coil under the flywheel. I have a few yellow wires. I should be good right?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo256213.jpg
    photo256213.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 1

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The device behind the terminal strip is the rectifier. Changes AC from the alternator to DC for charging the battery.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Can see if the system is working by hooking up a volt meter or ammeter, or checking battery voltage with a voltage tester before and during running (12v before and 13.8 or 9 while running) -- or even using a state-of-charge meter and checking before and during running. Thing is, charging usually doesn't kick in under maybe 1,500 or 2,000 rpms, and then may only be in the range of 4 to 6 amps. But it will help with a single battery bank -- depends on what equipment you are running. Fish finders don't hurt you too badly, and starting is pretty dependable if the motor and starting system are in good shape.