Replacing VRO

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice
Been having issues with my 1991 Johnson Outboard randomly shutting off the first five minutes of usage, after restarting, it runs fine...did some investigation today and found out I have a leak near the gas intake connector on the VRO (pic attached)...

Would this cause the outboard to randomly die???

Since the auto oiler has been bypassed, I just need to replace with a fuel pump...what fuel pump should I buy....the model number is J60TLESM and its a 1991 Johnson 60HP....thanks

Attachments

• photo253587.JPG
    photo253587.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Find a pump from a 65 hp commercial model.-------Most of those just used a simple pump.------Easy to install instead of a big $$ VRO unit.

James R

Commander
Most commonly used fuel pump is 0438559. I use these up to 140HP and then the V6s need two pumps.

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice
thanks, just ordered one...

any thoughts on the motor randomly shutting off no matter what speed I run it in the first five minutes...sometimes, it would restart but die again...the weird part is after, it would run fine all day

phillnjack2

Ensign
I would change the fuel pump then see if it happens again, definitely sounds like empty carb bowls due to air leak not getting enough fuel.
see if it happens after the fuel pump is changed,

I had same problems with a vro pump, I changed to old style simple pump and its been fine ever since.
yours might be the same.

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice
Installed the new pump today...double check to make sure there's no leak....took it out for a test run and the same thing happened....the motor died....I restarted and drove back to the ramp....any thoughts on what I should check next....

already did:

change plugs
compression test
new gas
reseated plugs connectors

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe time for a carb rebuild? Buy a carb kit, however many you have, and install a new kit if them and see what happens. JMHO

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice
thanks, will test with a new fuel tank and hose next....I did find out something last nite, the primer bulb orientation is horizontal and not straight up like it should...I wonder if this will cause this problem....will put it in the water to test tomorrow...then I'll try the new gas tank/hose experiment....

on a good note, the downstream pressure seems to be holding, the primer bulb is firm after a few squeeze...I guess there is no leak in me installing the new fuel pump :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The primer bulb is a manual fuel pump.----Fact is once motor is running it does not stay hard , nor does it need to.-----This manual pump is there to save your arms and shoulders from filling the carburetors on a small motor.-----It saves having to crank a big motor over with the starter to fill the carburetors.

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice
Couldnt find anybody that has a portable gas tank so I will probable have to buy one and along with new hose...found out the impluse hose was leaking...got that tighten up but that didnt fix anything...However, I did noticed that when it cuts off, the motor temp has increased to 140-150F....all this happened at the same time as my overheating problem earlier this year...I have replaced the thermostat and got the impeller serviced but I'm still thinking its running hot, thats another issue unless running at 180F is normal.

My question is I made a mod to the thermostat. I cut the tip off to get more water in so the motor would run cooler (see pic). Is it possible, when the thermostat opens at 140, the inrush of water causes the motor to random cut-off. I'm just brainstorming while I wait for the portable tank.. thermo.JPG

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice
after some thought, the thermo mod is not the cause for the issue....if so, I would experience the random cut-off after the engine has cooled down while we are fishing...the cut-off only happens in the first five minutes of usage

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The stats should open at 143 degrees. Normal idle running, the temps should vary between 143 and 150-155. When you get on plane, the system lets in extra water and the temps could go down maybe 20 degrees from the idle temps. You will get a hot horn at around 212 or so. Horn will shut off once the powerhead temps get back down to 175-still too hot for normal operation. Some of these later engines have an rpm limit once the engine overheats. The power pack will limit rpm's to 2500 so that the engine does not hurt itself when running hot. Check your owner's manual to see if your engine has that feature. If my engine went into the rpm limit due to overheat, I'd be shutting it down right away. No need to continue running when it's in the overheat range. The thing is that none of the above are cause to actually shut down the engine. Next time you suffer the shut down problem, check to see if you have spark to all 3 cyls. You could have a bad ignition part that is affected by heat.

lost_boys

Seaman Apprentice
its a 1991 60hp outboard....it doesnt have that rpm limit feature....I have installed a temp gauge after the initial overheat (alarm went off)...I currently will throttle back to idle when its close to 180F to get back to 150F...btw, if running at 4000 rpm, it runs cooler at 155F....the 175F range is only running between 2500-3500 rpm

I assume the plugs have sparks because it will start right up again after cutting off...and it would run great the rest of the nite...will only cut off once at the beginning of the trip...also, its randomly, it doesn't happen all the time, but more lately...