Johnson Ocean Runner 1997 225 HP Ticking noise and shuts down at idle.

Raul Esteban

Cadet
Was running great but decided to do my yearly tune-up,de-carb, filter...ect.... Marine store gave me wrong plugs at first. (for venom) replaced with correct ones.<br />Now it has a ticking sound (sounds like a car with a bad lifter) Runs strong and fast at WOT 5600 RPMS. no ticking noticed until lower rpms and at idle. Will not run at idle for long time at dock. New VRO pump,new gas. All that has being described only and only happens at dock in water. No ticking or idle problems with muffs.<br />Compression test shows 105,110,105,105,110,105. Spark test is okay. Alarm has gone off at idle a couple of times. I am thinking alarm sendor in deffective and puts motor on low and shuts down at idle. What is the ticking?? What happened? I was out all day saturday and had no problems except for ocassionally shut down at idle and started right up and of course the ticking at idle and low rpms.Other than that ran hard,strong and fast.<br />Any thoughts??

Raul Esteban

Cadet
Re: Johnson Ocean Runner 1997 225 HP Ticking noise and shuts down at idle.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can check or if I need to call a mechanic?<br />Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

TIM1970

Recruit

If it shuts down as you go in and out of gear at idle speed check your Shift interrupt switch. I have the same engine and I have replaced the switch three times. It causes all kinds of problems at idle because it shuts down three cylinders while shifting is going on. It is a very week ling that seems to have different symptoms depending on how the switch is acting.

Raul Esteban

Cadet

Thanks OCMD. It shuts down while idling in neutral and will start right up. It does sometimes shut down when docking when I need to shift from foward to reverse but, my main problem is at neutral. Also did you read about the ticking noise? What do you think?<br />Thanks for your reply.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The fuel-oil pump (VRO) will cause a loud ticking noise if air is getting into the fuel system from a leaky fitting or connection. In a rare case, if the "wagon wheel" valve inside the pump breaks or if an air-motor check valve fails, you can get the same sound.<br /><br />The factory service manuals detail how to check for fuel or pump problems.

Raul Esteban

Cadet

Thank You Seahorse for your reply. The VRO pump is new and motor had ticking before and after replacement. I will look for any hoses that may be leaking or for fitting or connection. <br />What and where is the or an "Air-motor check valve" (the ticking is similar to the sound a bad lifter makes on a car but lower in volume) but I do not have a clue on what "air-motor check valve" is. Also the primer bulb feels like it fills with air and not fuel. (it is also new}and eventually gets fuel when motor runs.<br />Thanks again for your expert advise.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The air motor check valves are internal parts of the "VRO" and are located just above the pulse hose fitting. For a cutaway view of the VRO, go to:<br /><br /> http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html <br /><br />To check for air in the fuel, temporarily connect a piece of clear fuel line to the inlet fitting on the pump. Run the motor at all speeds and see if air bubbles are present in the incoming fuel.

guyo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i had a similar problem years ago ; try this ,run the engine at night with the engine cover off and look for any leaking spark, the ticking sound could be a leaking spark grounding off the engine block

Raul Esteban

Cadet

Great news!! and a special THANK YOU!!, To Seahorse. I check the hoses and found the hose that goes from the tank to the filter to be colapsed about 2 feet or so from the tank connectionIt is so soft it feels like an innertube without air. It lost its' round shape and it is deformed. ( hope I described it correctly) I was able to isolate the ticking noise by using a broom stick and placing one end at the pump and the other end to my ear. Replaced hose and noise is gone and running great. Now the broom stick is part of my tools and I am thinking of getting a patent. :) <br />Thank You to all that replied.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Glad to hear that you found the problem and that it was an inexpensive fix.