115 1996 evinrude runs like it is trimmed up to high?

rfwj

Cadet
I have a 18 ft kencraft with a 96 115 evinrude. the trim appears to go all the way down but the boat runs like it is too trimmed up. I lifted the motor, locked up, and put the tilt trim down. the two trim lifts go all the way down as best as I can tell? Can the middle tilt large lift stop the trim from going down.

Any other ideas? thanks

why all the sudden will run like it is up but it looks trimmed all the way down?

rich

Last edited:

rfwj

Cadet
update. I am fairly sure the trim is working as it goes all the way down. why would a motor start running like it is trimmed up too high? prop? I even moved the pin down one slot to try to get rid of the slight rooster tail?

thanks

rich

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
What do you mean by running like its trimed up to high? Are you cavitating? Are you porpoising?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The trim pin should be in the holes closest to the transom. If you don't have trim, then you might want to choose other holes to permanently lock the trim to. It is the large single tilt ram which will move the swivel bracket downward and cause the two trim pegs to fully collapse. Another phenomena that may be happening: the rubber drive hub inside the prop may be bad. When these go, the prop starts to cavitate (slip) when the rpms start to develop the most torque.

rfwj

Cadet
thanks for the responses. It does porpoising when I trim up even a little. how do I check rubber drive hub?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
To check hub...remove prop, on the back make marks on the inner and outer hub. Run motor under load, check marks to seenif they moved.

As for porpoising...check hull with a sraight edge to make sure it is not convex on the back 6 ft or so.

Determine trim pin position.

Maybe post some pics of the back of the boat including the relationship of the cav plate and the bottom of the hull.

phillnjack2

Ensign
ok it dont sound like the boat if it used to be ok.
Have you changed the prop at all ? and why are you using the pin with power trim anyway ? take it out and put it away.
with power trim the pin should not be used, it would be stopping you from trimming right under for the holeshot .