Aftermarket ignition coil for sportsman?

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all,
My 42' Sportsman has no spark. I determined the coil is bad since I cleaned and checked the rest of the ignition components. Is there an aftermarket coil for my motor?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
acdc96, exactly what type engine do you need the coil for? I have no idea what type coil you could use not understanding the engine that needs it. Post some pictures of your existing coil and tell us how you determined it is bad.

interalian

Commander
Probably not an outboard on a 42 foot boat. Unless: 1942 Evinrude Sportsman 2hp (from your info page). Funny what an apostrophe will do on one side of a number as opposed to the other. But now, I want to go listen to a Frank Zappa album of the same name.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry for little info,

It's a 1942 evinrude sportsman. Model #: 4366 serial#: 11147

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sorry for little info,

It's a 1942 evinrude sportsman. Model #: 4366 serial#: 11147

Okay, at least we know the year and model, but I don't have anything that goes back that far to be able to see the actual coil and make any quality suggestions. How do you know your coil is bad right now? Can you post a picture of it and we can come up with ideas for a replacement? Maybe newer model engines use the same or similar parts and you could get one of them. JMHO

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
That should use the long cylindrical coils like the Zephyr. They are usually very reliable. If it has primary and secondary resistance it is almost certainly good. If you are sure yours is toast, your best bet would be Ebay or the AOMCI classifieds.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
No there is no aftermarket replacement.

You can make your own, using a modern universal coil, and your coils laminations. If this is something that you would be interested in, I can go into further detail about it.

Or you can post a wanted ad at aomci.org, or try Doug Penn for a replacement coil. The one you receive from either will be the same age however, and could fail at any time.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If I could see a picture of it, maybe there is a way to rewind it. I have no idea if it is an open wind or sealed in a can or what. But if I honestly had to get the engine running, I would rewind it if at all possible. JMHO

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
They are sealed in tar, not worth the effort. MUCH easier to swap out the old coil with a modern replacement, but use the old laminations as mentioned.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
This gives you an idea of what im talking about. These are modern coils on the original laminations.

Attachments

• coil_conversion.jpg
    coil_conversion.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 0