use of OMC engine turner

tyerfish

Cadet
I have a Evinrude 115 with a crossover carb made in 1998. I have recently read that you should be using engine turner once every 50 hrs run time from the start. I have never used the product on my engine and was not aware that I should. Each year of use, I have only averaged using the boat about five to six times a year with about 1-2 hrs run time each use. I'm sure by now that there is a build up of carbon in the head of the engine. My Question is: should I now use this engine cleaner to clean these deposits out. Is there any chance of ruining the engine if I use it since I did not use it from the beginning. Is there a better way or safer way to clean the engine of carbon?

R DAVIS

Seaman Apprentice
You won't cause any damage, as the product softens the carbon which is then expelled through the exhaust. It woks well, but many folks use "Seafoam" which works just as well, but is less expensive and available at most auto supply stores. Just follow directions on the can. The more carbon in your motor, the more it will smoke during treatment.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I've always had good luck with the OMC/BRP Engine Tuner. The trick is to follow the directions to the tee.

tyerfish

Cadet
I have ordered the OMC aerosol with an injection hose. I will be pushing the aerosol through the primer lever valve. Do I need to run this procedure more than once and is one 13 ounce can enough for one injection?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you notice a big improvement in the running quality you may want to try another can.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I prefer the omc. No need for the schrader valve top. Just evenly dispense the can through the carbs. Couple seconds on each till its gone. High idle, but not racing thenmotor. Follow directions. Make sure you read them first because tou have to run the engine afterbit sets for many hours.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The Schrader valve is a neat way to inject the engine tuner. You can use maybe half the can. Let it sit for the prescribed time. Then do it again with the rest of the can. If you run the Evinrude XD50 oil, it has the engine tuner added to the oil. It will clean the carbon as you run the engine. You can lengthen the interval between the tuner application because you use the XD50.