OMC CONTROL BOX HELP

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1989 OMC control box that has the standard wiring diagram...I bought a wiring harness (for the control side) from ebay, but in stead of having the standard red female plug (like on the motor side) it has a black plug which has different colors wires. (I'm going to try to post some pictures) my motor is a 1989 140hp...I have bee trying to start this motor, but I'm not getting any spark to any of the plugs, do I need the controls to start this motor, because of the kill switch? also, will the harness with the black plug work... In the picture, I believe I'm looking at the key switch and kill switch, thr 2nd picture is with the standard wiring, if anyone know the wiring diagram, please let me know. So I have 3 main questions..
1. I have no spark when trying to start this motor....Is the button on the harness is the kill switch...If it is the kill switch, do I need it to start the motor...
2. Will the Black plug work with this motor. it does plug in to the harness on the motor side..
3, Are the control necessary to start this motor (with the kill switch shorted)

Thank Mav

Attachments

• photo253142.jpg
    photo253142.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253143.jpg
    photo253143.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 0

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

This is a picture of the black evinrude plug....It does fit the RED plug on the motor,,,but I need help matching up a few wires back to the controls...I'm thinking the push button next to the switch is the kill switch

Attachments

• photo253146.jpg
    photo253146.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253147.jpg
    photo253147.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253148.jpg
    photo253148.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 0

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Hmm, dont think blk plug works with red plug, never tried.

That does not apear to be any modern omc key switch or momentary switch.

Post pic of remote control.

I would guess that the push button momentary switch is either start or choke what color wires go to each. How many poles on the back of the key switch?

Some one has had their fingers in there and rigged up an ignition.

Was this an inboard that was converted to clamp on power?

Probably best just to rip it all out and start from scratch with oem/oem style wireing,switches and remote.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
This is a picture of the black evinrude plug....It does fit the RED plug on the motor,,,but I need help matching up a few wires back to the controls...I'm thinking the push button next to the switch is the kill switch

mav, those picture really don't show us much because we need to see what remote control unit they are from like jakedaawg suggested. Post a picture or three of the actual remote control unit and then we can make suggests how to set things up. I would be careful with actually wiring it up to the battery until you know exactly where each wire is supposed to go. JMHO

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
In the first set of pictures is a picture of the control box itself the control box has a key switch with all the colors that the red plug has it also has the alarm on it but the wires were cut the control box is a OMC control box as you can see in the pictures the only thing that's missing from the control box is the Kill switch. So if you look at the last picture in the first set of pictures you will see the control box

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
That picture is a little TOO close to be helpful. All I can be sure of is it has the throttle lever friction adjustment in place.
Not all control boxes have an ignition grounding ("kill") switch and/or safety switch.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I'm sorry about that I will try to get better pictures but what I also noticed is that Evinrude made black plug during the 90s all the way up to 96 so I don't know where they switch from black to red or red to black. I will have more pictures within a couple of hours thanks mav

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
This really depends on wether the harness you bought was oem. No oem blk plugs were used in the 80 or later. I think blk plug was last used in 73 but i could be wrong. Duetch connectors came in 96 or 97 thereabouts