How to test a choke solenoid

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
Looking to know how to test a choke solenoid. When I push the key in there is no click. Can I take it off and attach to a spare battery. It's off a 1975 70hp evinrude

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Plumber87, yes you can test that type choke via a battery. It is nothing more then a coiled wire that produced a magnetic field to pull in the plunger. Just don't keep the voltage on it. It is designed for a short usage and not continuous.

But reading you post, you don't have to remove it to test it. Simple push in the choke button and read the voltage at the solenoid connection to see if you are getting voltage to it first. That is quicker and no need to remove anything. JMHO

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Piece of wire from the battery post on the starter solenoid to the screw on the choke solenoid.------Does it click then ?

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
Well I think it's stuffed now haha. I held the key in to get a volt reading, and in doing so it started smoking. When trying to start the motor with the choke it wouldn't move at all or click. It also didn't make a noise when I pushed it in to test the volts. Does this mean it was stuffed anyway.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could the thermostat that tells it to open and close be stuffed.

Wait a second, what does the thermostat have to do with the choke? I thought you were trying to get the choke working. How did the thermostat get involved? :noideas:

Oh yes that factory installed special smoke. Once that come out of a part, it usually stops working. And there is no way to get that smoke back into the art either.

Sounds like you toasted something. Whether you fried it all the way or not remains to be seen. Post a picture or three of what you are working on so we can all be on the same page.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
the plunger was likley just stuck inside ...loose nut or wd-40 would have probably released it

to late now...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On some models the choke comes on partially when key is turned on with the motor cold.----When motor warms up the choke solenoid goes off when thermoswitch opens up.---That is what the honourable gentleman has I believe, since there are 3 wires going to it.---Black .--- purple / whiite----purple / yellow.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
On some models the choke comes on partially when key is turned on with the motor cold.----When motor warms up the choke solenoid goes off when thermoswitch opens up.---That is what the honourable gentleman has I believe, since there are 3 wires going to it.---Black .--- purple / whiite----purple / yellow.

Once again, I speak without understanding everything. I was suppose to stop that. Guess it didn't work. :sorry:

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
Can you bypass the thermoswitch? I'm going to have to buy a second hand solenoid as they are obsolete now. The plunger was free as I had pulled it out and have it a clean and replaced both springs.