Open exhaust side, Johnson Stinger 1978

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it possible to open exhaust side, and check baffle plate and replace gaskets, without taking the power head off? The screws between rig and power head don?t look so good, have a bad feeling about removing them, they might brake?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Unless you have legitimate reason to need to check them - .ie water in a cylinder, then I'd leave well enough alone.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is right; I have water in middle cylinder. Have loosen the lower engine cover, and I think I might have room to loosen the screws to exhaust cover. But what do you say, will I get stuck half way, or can this be done?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Can be done - may, or may not be easy. You won't be able to entirely remove the lower bolts with the cover in place, but you should be able to loosen them enough to get the whole sandwich assembly out. Remember that when you go to reinstall the assembly - place those lower bolts in their holes before putting the assembly in place.

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I have been able to loosen all the screws now except bottom right one. Is there some trick to use while trying to loosen stainless steel screws from aluminum?

Attachments

• photo253344.jpg
    photo253344.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Sometimes heat works to help things along. And penetrating oil - I use PB Blaster. That's a bugger if it snaps off, too...

G

Soak it with PB Blaster, I'd re-apply PB to the bolt head everyday for about 3 days before attempting to turn it out.