evinrude 70573e not starting

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
recently bought a boat with this motor on it. The motor isn't running. I have changed the coils, stator, plugs, fuel pump & filter and has fresh fuel. Also have rebuilt the carbys.

When I turn the key it will try to start but wont run. Could this be a power pack problem? every now and then it will run for about 5-10 seconds but very rough and then cut out and wont start again.
Motor has perfect compression on all cylinders.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Are the plugs wet when this happens?.
Did you soak the carbs or just replace parts?
Are you using the choke?
Is the choke working?
Sounds like a fuel issue.

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
Yes the plugs get wet.
I soaked the carbs and made sure the jets were clear.
Yes using the choke. the air intake is off so I can see that the butterflies are closed when using choke. Not sure how the choke solenoid works.
I was thinking that maybe the power pack wasn't giving the right sparks or a weak spark. I have checked and am getting spark.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Use an open air spark tester to make sure the gap jumps 7/16".
Which set of butterflies are closed? There are 2 butterflies per carb the back one will always be closed until you move the throttle. The other set of butterflies only work with the choke switch. When you push the choke you should see the front set of butterflies close and not open until you release the switch.

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
from memory I think the back butterflies are open and the choke closes the front butterflies.

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
So im guessing that the back valve should be closed and because its open its flooding? I'm new to motors. When the manual choke is in normal position the front butterfly is open. Could previous person put linkages or something around the wrong way?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Could be going the opposite way and leaning out. You are probably going to have to do a link and sync you might want to get a manual for your motor. Try to go OEM a little more money but worth he price. You should have an electric choke for that motor.

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
the electric choke it that the solenoid that's connected to the linkage? Don't know if it works properly. When the motor is off should the butterflies be open or closed. I have tried to look up solenoid part but cant find any they are now obsolete.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Does it click when you push the button? When the motor is off the front butterflies should be open and the back should be closed. There are a bunch of solenoids on e-bay but yours may just need to be adjusted.

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
I don't have a choke button. My key is next to the steering wheel and not on the control. Maybe the choke button got snapped off or could it be attached to the key?

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
ok mate ill try these few things and let you know how I go. Your have been a massive help

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
ok mate ill try these few things and let you know how I go. Your have been a massive help

Your cold start procedure should be this.
#1 pump the primer ball
#2 set the high idle lever want to be around 1500 rpms when warming it up.
#3 turn the key push for choke and start the motor.

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
ok mate I will try this when I get home and make sure the back butterfly is close when no throttle. If the electric choke doesn't work can I use the manual choke for now?

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
Couldn't hear the solenoid click when I pushed the key in. Is there a way to test if the solenoid works? With a volt meter or something. Should I just buy a solenoid off eBay?

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
My 1977 70 hp wouldn't start when I first got it because of 'operator error' :(. I would flood it every time and couldn't get it to start until I started doing these starting steps :). I know every motor has its own way but this is what I have to do. Prime the fuel tank bulb to nice and firm. Turn the key and push it in to choke it (you will hear a click sound) while it is cranking. When it fires but don't start, turn the key for the next starting attempt and let it crank again but I don't push the key in for the choke. If I push the key in for the choke after the first hit of the motor it will flood and I'll have to remove the plugs to get rid of the excess fuel. It will start on the second to third try for the first start of the day. After that it starts first time without pushing the key in for the choke almost every time for the rest of the day.

​I know our motors don't have the 'primer chokes' like on newer motors but for some reason mine will flood if I choke it after the first, almost start event.

Good luck :)

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thanks, can't seem to hear the solenoid click though.

I had it run for about 10 seconds today but then it just dies and won't start again. Have been using the manual choke on the motor. So frustrating. I just want to get her running.

Plumber87

Seaman Apprentice
Alright so I had it running for about 15 seconds then it cut out. This was after putting my batter on charge over night. Could it be a battery problem or something like that? Feel like I'm getting closer. Battery reads correct when not under load. Could the battery create this problem or not.