What's this black tube coming out of engine? - 1996 evinrude 9.9 2 stroke remote

9.9er

Recruit
So I just purchased a1996 Evinrude 9.9 2-stroke remote control motor for $400. Cleaned it up, attached control harness and cables, adjusted all to run well. ​But what is that long black thin rubber (6') hose coming out of the motor, It spits a steady stream of water when motor is running. Motor is pissing just fine out the blow hole. What could this possibly attach to? I've search my manual and I'm at a complete loss. Help

9.9er

Recruit
To clarify: This black rubber water hose (1/4" od) is exiting the motor thru the operator control panel along with controls wiring harness.

9.9er

Recruit
Gotta be something like that, maybe a speedo or temp? This is a small motor don't really need pressure gauges

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I'll guess its a water pressure and or water temperature hose that hooked up to a gauge at one time. Like I said, just a guess :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
It's possible they re-routed the pisser tube to be visible in a remote set-up. Not the first time I've seen that done if the outlet isn't visible from where the driver's sitting...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Anyone else?

gotta be something common

It may be common. It isn't normal.

A hose always has two ends. You have one end sticking out of the control panel. What is the other end hooked to? :rolleyes:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Doesn't matter how big or small the engine is -- if the engine has a water pump (this one does) that hose was probably hooked to a water "pressure" gauge to signal the operator that the water pump was failing. Since water is coming out of it, it is obviously connected somewhere to the cooling system. It is definitely NOT a water TEMPERATURE tube.