Evinrude 2000mdl 50hp SLOW maybe?

Hi Guy's, I am hoping someone can help, engine is a 50HP evinrude 4 stroke 2000mdl, lead to believe a re-badged suzuki? Has been sitting 6 mths, fueled it up, hit the key starts and idles straight away no probs no alarms, But engine appears to hit a rev limit or SLOW mode at about 2500rpm will not go any further, I am getting the injectors cleaned but was wondering if there is anyway to reset or sensors to unplugged to find out what maybe causing it electrically?, Engine was fine before being stored, Cheers

Put the injectors back it and it still still running rough now check engine alarm is going off, does anyone know which sensor this is conected too?

I am getting 2 codes from the dash, when I initially turn on the key it gives me 2-2, then 3-2, then starts at 2-2 again etc, can anyone tell me what they are?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I take it you dont jave the manual. I do but it will be awhile before I get to it.

daselbee

Commander
Code 22 is the CTP switch, Closed Throttle Position switch. It sets check engine light.
Code 32 is MAP sensor vacuum loss. It also sets check engine.

Throttle must be absolutely closed at idle, and if it is physically closed, then look to the adjustment of the CTP switch.

Why in the heck those items would be out of adjustment suddenly? Someone been fooling with it?

daselbee

Commander
Consider this....EMM knows the engine is idling, or should be at idle. But the throttle is stuck open a hair. CTP switch is therefore open, and you have low vacuum in the intake, which throws the MAP sensor code for loss of manifold vacuum to MAP sensor.
Possibly one fault causing both codes.

I would look for the throttle being slightly cracked open. That is NOT the way to adjust idle speed by the way.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Neutral switch stuck perhaps.----And these engines only go to that RPM level on nuetral !-----Yes it is an Evinzuki

Last edited:

daselbee

Commander
When the neutral switch is stuck, the engine hits 2500 and violently surges. He said nothing about such heavy surging. Also, neutral switch will not set codes.
That was my first thought too, but surely he would have mentioned the surging. And, according to the OP, it is not doing it now....after his work on injectors, he says the only problem is the codes....or am I reading this wrong?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I dont know, sounds like he is getting the rev limiter which some describe as surging.

I didnt think the tps or map turns on the rev limiter but its been a few years since ive had one go

Thank you to all for the comments, Yes it does violently surge i took that as hitting the limiter, How do I check the neutral switch?, Thank you so much for the help

Consider this....EMM knows the engine is idling, or should be at idle. But the throttle is stuck open a hair. CTP switch is therefore open, and you have low vacuum in the intake, which throws the MAP sensor code for loss of manifold vacuum to MAP sensor.
Possibly one fault causing both codes.

I would look for the throttle being slightly cracked open. That is NOT the way to adjust idle speed by the way.
Throttle appears to be well and truly closing shut up against the switch, Im not sure how to check the map sensor or neutral switch

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
On the shift linkage at the engine, between cable assy and the shift rod linkage assy you will see a switch type sensor. As you move the shifter it depresses the switch, these have been known to get stuck which tells the ecmnthat it is in neutral, hence the rpm limit.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Easy way to diagnose is hook up to 4sds software and shift. See what the screen tells you.