1995 150 OCEAN PRO idle control

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
My 150 has typically idles a bit higher till it is warm and idle drops a bit and im ready to go.This season it seems the idle does not go down at all.Actually seems a touch higher on occasion.I am only good at spraying seafoam into the carbs ,not much else when it comes to carbs.Anyone had similar?? Charlie

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Get a factory service manual and do a sync and link on it. If you have other probs the manual will help you out.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
How about a model number. I cant remember when they put fast start in.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
electrically I cant help you...but if you have ever ran a chain saw .. the rpms soar once you start to run out of gas!!!...maybe your carbs are getting clogged in the idle passages...and as such you are getting lean...and the rpms are going up...

as a test, you could turn the idle screws in until the seat, COUNTING the turns.....( good to know as a baseline), then crank them out the same amount and add 2 turns.....see if that helps....

good luck

bob

w2much

Lieutenant
jakedaag mentions Fast Start. It runs the engine higher rpms till proper operating temp is reached. I have the same motor, it does have the fast start feature. I had mine serviced several years ago due to the same issue. Technician said fast start was bad and replaced something but can not remember what.
Also boobie mentions the factory service manual. Get one it will be invaluable to you, also mentions the link and sync which is where to start. I suspect the fast start but some of my suspicions have cost me a lot of money, just to let you know.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Sorry, yes I believe that's a fast start motor. Trouble shooting can be tricky without a.manual for some.

It is just one of the possible causes.