1992 120 Johnson Intake tube question

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just purchased a project boat to rebuild. It has a 1992 120 Johnson and has been sitting for 3 years. I pulled the drain plugs out of the carbs and used the primer bulb to push fresh gas through the system. I installed the drain plugs and primed the carbs and she fired right up. Now I only ran her for about 10 seconds and did not see any water coming from tell tale. I know this is not the ideal way and she really was not running long enough but I was being cautious. I noticed that there was water coming out of the leg where the lower unit bolts on. I ended up pulling the lower because I figured I would change the pump anyway. I then hooked a hose directly to the intake tube and pulled the thermostats to check for blockage and there was none. Water flowed through the engine fine but it was still leaking inside the leg. I'm thinking the intake tube must have a gasket or grommet of some sort under the power head but I can not for the life of me find it in the Service Manual. I will keep searching the manual but does anyone know if I'm on the right track here? Or is this normal? I have never seen water leaking inside of a leg before.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----But water has to come out of the motor after doing it's job of cooling.-------Just a wee bit of water comes out the telltale.----The rest goes out with the exhaust !

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes this was coming out of where the tube goes into the power head I believe. I had plenty of water coming out of the exhaust but some was coming out of where the tube goes up the midsection. I'm not familiar with Johnson's but know that my Tohatsu and Mercury's were not like this.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The cooling water comes out and pretty much freefalls through the leg to the prop.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you flyingscott. I guess this is normal so I will install new water pump and call it a day.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

OK so I replaced water pump and started her up and let her run for a few minutes. She sounds/runs great but yes she is leaking from the lower leg. I will pull the power head and replace the grommet that the water tube connects to in the mid section along with all the other gaskets and seals.

Attachments

• photo253566.JPG
    photo253566.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253567.JPG
    photo253567.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 0

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why are you doing all this work !!
In the pictures you can see water coming out from between the lower and mid section. This is normal? I have never seen water leaking from this area on any other "brand" outboard. If it is normal great but it does not look right to me.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I doctored the pic to show where I'm concerned.

Attachments

• photo253572.jpg
    photo253572.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0

James R

Commander
Check the installation of the exhaust housing inner lower assembly, the coupling between the leg and the lower unit. There are two large seals on this. Perhaps someone forgot to fit the assembly. Faucet pressure can cause the tube grommet to leak.