1953 Johnson Javelin (33hp) no Spark

Fanglyfish

Cadet
Hi guys, I'm in the process of restoring a 1953 Johnson Javelin. The cable is that connects to the wiring harness on the motor is totally shot so I'm trying to start it by hand. I have a few questions and I am wondering if you guys can help:

1) No spark. I have cleaned and gapped the points to their correct settings but I still have no spark. I have also checked the coils and that seem fine. Is there something I need to jump on the wiring harness before I can start it with the harness disconnected?

2) I have a harness from a 57' lark that fits the motor, but even when connected the starter does not get power to the starter (confirmed with multimeter) Is there a wiring difference between the years?

Thanks guys. Hopefully you can help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # or pictures.----------There was no 33 hp in 53 .-----There was no JAVELIN in 53 either.----------Motor does not need 12 volts from a battery in order to run.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
You either have a '56 30hp Javelin, or a '57 35hp Javelin.

Since you say the '57 Lark harness fits, you must have the '57 Javelin. The '56 Javelin was hard wired.

So, to answer one of your questions, that harness is fine on your '57 Johnson.

Have you tested the harness, made sure it had good continuity throughout it? Simply use jumper cables to a known good battery, and see if she will spin over.

Regarding spark, there is not a whole lot that can go wrong. Ensure the points are shiny polished and then cleaned after setting at 020.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is the 57 model 35 hp------One of the more collectable / desireable motors.----Is chrome and all in good shape ??

Fanglyfish

Cadet
You either have a '56 30hp Javelin, or a '57 35hp Javelin.

Since you say the '57 Lark harness fits, you must have the '57 Javelin. The '56 Javelin was hard wired.

So, to answer one of your questions, that harness is fine on your '57 Johnson.

Have you tested the harness, made sure it had good continuity throughout it? Simply use jumper cables to a known good battery, and see if she will spin over.

Regarding spark, there is not a whole lot that can go wrong. Ensure the points are shiny polished and then cleaned after setting at 020.

I know the harness is good as I've used it to start my lark. Not sure about the boot that is on the actual motor.