62 lark iv

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got my old boat back and got motor running again. Is there suppose to be exhaust and water spray coming out of big hole on top. I replaced head on it before i got rid of it and people i got it from didnt do anything to it.

interalian

Commander
You mean the hole high up on the leg? If so, yes. That's the 'blubber hole'.

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes the large hole on top is there suppose to be water coming out of it also

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The top arrow is what im talking about and whats the hole near prop for at bottom arrow

Attachments

• photo252919.jpg
    photo252919.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0

interalian

Commander
Yes, water and exhaust - this is the exhaust bypass and some water sprays out during normal operation on the water.
The lower arrow is the main exhaust outlet and the main water exit.

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It runs rough what adjustments can i do to make it tun better. I have the original manaul and is it just the needle on front of carb and idle i can adjust

interalian

Commander
Start with a compression test and see if the spark will jump 5/16 - 3/8" open air gap using a spark tester. Report back with your numbers. Do a cylinder drop test to make sure it's running on both cylinders too. Carb overhaul and water pump would be next if compression shows good.

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ignition was replaced when my parents had it and im sure the place they brought it to did compression check as they went thru motor

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
First thing you should get is the Factory Service Manual. They can be found on e-bay for various prices.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Check your manual for a description of the auto choke. See first of all if it remains in place and hooked up, based on what you find in the manual. The auto choke depends on a properly working cooling system, so will want to make sure the impeller and t.stat works -- need to be in a test barrel or in the lake to test.

There is a manual override for the choke -- believe it is on the right side of the carb, looking at it from the front. The choke may not be fully opening, giving rough running at idle and difficulty dialing in the low speed mix. After it warms up a little, I would use the manual override to turn off the auto choke, then try again to set the idle mix. When finished, changing back to the auto choke setting should not affect operation (i.e., the choke should remain open).

But first make sure the cooling system works -- need a strong water spray out of the exhaust port on the leg. Head surface temp. should be about 140F (not too hot to touch).

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks oldboat i know when ran it today there was a good amount of water coming out and head was warm but not hot. Ill have to look at auto choke tomorrow and set mixture screw back to factory. I noticed the auto choke kept flapping when was starting it

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do i perform a cylinder drop test. Is it as simple as unhooking spark plug

lindy46

Captain
Yes, remove one wire at a time and see what happens. If it dies when you remove the wire, the opposite cylinder is not firing.

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it running better mixture screw was out 3 turns. Goes it gear great.

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I ran motor for about 10-15 mins and was putting it in gear both foward and reverse. Motor ran fine had good spray and head was warm but is this normal. I did as manual said and had it 24:1.

Attachments

• photo253051.jpg
    photo253051.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
concerned about oil in the water you mean? Normal. But it looks like you need a bigger barrel and more water. In the lake is better, obviously.

"Mix" can refer to the oil ratio or the air/fuel mix -- different animals, as you probably know. 24:1 oil ratio is correct. Carb air/fuel mix varies, but about a turn out would be in the ballpark. Initial setting should be 1 1/2 out from seated. Want the leanest setting where the motor idles smoothly (no lean sneezing), and throttles up without stumbling. While working at that idle mix, though, the exhaust water will get really polluted -- will be better when dialed in, and a quiet runner.

stretch8668

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It still stumbled lil til warm. Then started adjusting screw til got best idle and it raises the rpm very well no stumbling at all il have to pull plugs to see what they look like