Johnson 225 racing at idle

bobbielk

Recruit
My Johnson 225 HP races at idle (2000rpm) even though the butterfly is completely closed. The linkage seems to be OK and the primer pump checks out. Can a faulty VRO pump cause this? With the butterfly closed, the mixture seems to be very rich since there is a lot of smoke.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 225 racing at idle

Welcome!!<br /><br />
My Johnson 225 HP races at idle (2000rpm) even though the butterfly is completely closed.
Make sure all the butterflies are closed. It doesnt take much. The linkage is a bit tricky, especially on the bottom throttle body on each side. There is a connector at the bottom of each center throttle body thats kinda hard to adjust. <br /><br />Loosen both bottom connectors and the top crossover connector and tell us what happens. Theres more to look at but thats the first step.

Patch Pounder

Recruit

hey there my johnson 225 has the same problem.. i checked the connestors and looks good . so whats next ???

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Do you have all the connectors loose? How many?

Patch Pounder

Recruit

yep i loosened the total of four and then tightend them back up making sure the butterflys are all closed

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Nope. Youre too eager. Thats a good thing but we gotta go a step at a time. <br /><br />Loosen all four and start the motor. We'll get to tightening them later.<br /><br />We assume the motor is out of the water so its going to idle somewhat higher anyway. And if you have Quick Start (1988 or newer ignition) you need to let the motor run long enough to come out of Quick Start.

Patch Pounder

Recruit

thats correct the boat is out of water . as far as i know it is a 1988 the modle # is j225tlcce not sure what the e means. anyway i lossened the all four connectors and started it up and after 20 mins or so it still runs fast.around 1800 rpm

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep, thats a 1988 and should have Quick Start. To us in the real world the last letter (E) doesnt mean anything. Its a run number production used. <br /><br />OK, so its coming down from 2000 to 1800. Good. Now, theres a screw in the middle of the throttle arm on the starboard side of the block. Has anyone moved that screw? There should be some orange colored silicone-like stuff on it from the factory. Is it still there?

Patch Pounder

Recruit

well from what i see there is no orange colored stuff on it and it looks like somone did alot of tinkering on it including myself. i followed all the steps to throttle sync in my repair manual and in the forums here and i think i should point out that I checked the timing just a bit ago and it was set to 8 atdc..when i tried to set it to specs in the book 6-8 btdc the rpm climbed to about 2500, so rather than change several things at once i put it back to where it was before and take it step by step