1956 Evenrude Lark 35hp simplex remote stuck

john_have

Cadet
New here... I purchased an old boat that had not been used in a year. I was able to get the motor started but I can't get either lever to move. Any assistance would help.

I disconnect the cables from the engine and the fwd/rev moves to both positions. The speed only moves from slow to straight up not all the way fwd.

I reconnected them and can't get them to move attached to the engine.

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
can't advance the throttle beyond high idle unless the motor is in gear. Also, don't force shifting if the motor isn't running -- may need to turn prop slightly by hand (l.u. gears need to mesh).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
New here... I purchased an old boat that had not been used in a year. I was able to get the motor started but I can't get either lever to move. Any assistance would help.

I disconnect the cables from the engine and the fwd/rev moves to both positions. The speed only moves from slow to straight up not all the way fwd.

I reconnected them and can't get them to move attached to the engine.

Thanks,
John

:welcome: john_have to iboats. Always nice to get a new iboat member...

Like oldboat1 stated above, don't try to move the remote handle(s) if the engine is connected and not running. However, when you disconnected the cables to the engine, were you able to move the remote control lever(s) all the way then? If not, you need to open the control unit up and see what is damaged, bent, mis-adjusted or broken. Then repair and you should be good to go. If you don't know anything about your remote control unit, post a picture or three for us to see what you are dealing with. That way we can offer better suggestions and ideas. JMHO

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Possible old, stiff grease inside the control box. Nothing's going to jump out at you if you open it up, it's a pretty simple box. Also, old cables can stiffen up, too. If they're original style with removable ends, you can sometimes re-lube them (take bowden wire out of casing, oil up the casing's insides, and reinstall the bowden wire.)

john_have

Cadet
Thanks everyone. I took the simplex apart and greased it. Working till Tuesday so will not be able to get it started up to attempt to shift.
Thanks again excited for the new boat and appreciate you all sharing knowledge.
Will get some pictures up soon.
1956 Bowman with 35 Lark all original.

lindy46

Captain
Most likely cables need replacing if they're original. If it is a 1956 Lark, it is a 30hp.

john_have

Cadet
Got the motor started and into gear with the cables unhooked. It is tough to shift into gear with the cables off. I took apart the simplex control box and greased all of the fittings. I will try to get a picture of it to post.

interalian

Commander
If the motor isn't running, make sure you turn the prop to help engage the dog in the gear. Risk stretching the cable otherwise.

lindy46

Captain
That is a 1957 Lark.

Looks like the cables are working properly - so it won't move the shift lever on the motor if attached? Or does it just not pull the shift lever fully into gear? If the latter, try adjusting the little wheel on the cable endpiece until it fully engages forward gear.

Doesn't surprise me the shop doesn't want to work on it. Some of the younger mechanics may not even be familiar with the old magneto engines.

That is a great old motor. I had a '57 Lark on my pontoon boat in Michigan and she never failed me. I rescued many a stalled out newer boat/motor with that old Lark. Unfortunately, I sold it when we moved from Michigan to Tennessee.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
With the remote shift cable disconnected at the motor like in your uTube, shift the motor shift lever into forward gear (motor off). With the motor in gear, try operating the remote throttle lever (assume the remote throttle cable is still connected at the motor). The remote throttle lever should then move to wot.

It looks to me like the connector end on the remote shift cable may have come loose, or you loosened it by mistake. The inner cable wire is gripped -- pinched -- by the screws/posts at the end of the plastic connector. The wire passes through a hole in the threaded shaft that holds the screws. If the wire came out of the hole, it has to be be reinserted so the connector will fully slide onto the remote cable -- and give you the appropriate travel for shifting the motor.

john_have

Cadet
I took a break an took it out today... Started it in gear and ran down the ICW. It was a blast! Ran smoothly at mid-high settings 25mph. Idles rough almost sounds like it is missing at low speeds.
I will try to work on the lever again this weekend. It is hard to shift into gear (it takes some force to move the handle) The cable seems to not have the torque to move into and out of gear easily would be the best way I can describe it. I will check the connector end and adjust the travel as suggested.

john_have

Cadet
Motor running will get one next time at idle to see what you all think.
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

lindy46

Captain
Sounds good! If it's not idling properly, try adjusting the low speed needle (top). Turn clockwise until it "sneezes", then turn out a little until the sneeze stops. If you can't get a good idle, the carb probably needs cleaning/rebuilding. As far as the hard shifting, may be a problem in the gearcase, like a bent yoke, or pivot pin not installed properly through the hole in the yoke. Have you checked the oil in the gearcase? That's one of the first things I change on a new to me motor. Also, I'd be replacing the water pump impeller.