Problem with trim evinrude 150 hp 1980?

I'm glad that you fixed yours, but I have a similiar problem.
I tried switching the relays like you did, without success. Here's what I did:
I removed both relays. With power to the fuse box, when I plug in the right side relay , it clicks. no sound when I plugged in the left side. However, when I try to trim down with the trottle toggle switch, the left one clicks.
Then I disconnected both relays and did the same thing, switching the relays. Same result. No movement of the engine whatsoever. Stuck in the "up" position.
Since both relays "click" in the same way , are both still good? Are both bad?
What might be causing the relay plug to be "hot", clicking as soon as I plug it in on the right side?
Evinrude 150 hp. Skeeter boat , mid to late 80s.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the relay picks when you plug it in, you either have a short in the wiring from the trim switch to the relay or the trim switch is failing - Stuck or shorted.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Something's not right here. In 1980, the power trim control box had a single solenoid inside. No relays. The twin relays won't appear till mid-model year in 1981. In 1980 the trim motor was a 3-wire motor. When the twin relays came out, the motors changed to a double wire. No parts from these two (systems) model years are compatible with each other. So, perhaps you can clarify just what year system you have. Identifying the number of wires to the motor would also be helpful.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Best guess is that your engine is at least a late 1981 or later. This trim box is for the newer system-the one where the new motor is used, with only 2 wires. It's a big improvement over the 1980 single solenoid system. The newer system takes 2 relays and both need to be installed to work the trim motor. Your system can work either up or down if one relay is good and one is bad. Both need to be there for continuity of the system, even if one is bad. The easy thing to check is to swap them and flip the switch. If it only works one way, you should be able to swap the two relays and the trim should work in the opposite direction. When replacing relays, it's best to repl both at the same time, as the other one is likely to fail soon-based on age alone. Replace both with new and keep the old (good one) as a emergency spare relay.

interalian

Commander
I had to replace the relays in mine a few years back. We were beached on the west side of Valdez Island (Stuart Channel) enjoying the afternoon sun, and a 40' cruiser with Washington reg went by and piled a huge wake over the stern of our boat - a few hundred gallons of salt water. (Didn't stop, they actually laughed at us as they moved away - hope he hit a reef later...) Fortunately the bilge pump worked - took a long time to empty the boat. TnT went out later that season. Salt water had invaded the unsealed relays and rusted them out. Replacement of both fixed the problem.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Usually when the relays click, odds are they are ok. But, if replacing them, do it in pairs, as they both age at the same rate, and if one went bad, repl both. I think I'd do a continuity test on the trim switch on the handle of the control box. Make sure current flows both ways through the switch. Once you know it's ok, then refocus on the trim control box. You may even need to check the continuity of the wires inside the box. I had a wire in the control box that had worn most of the strands off of it. (was really thin.) Would not handle the power. Replaced the wire, ran fine. (mine was a 79 200, and this was over 12 years ago)