OMC Control box

mwagne30

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, I'm not a real boater, so please work with me.
Our kids purchased us a used pontoon boat for the cottage and within a week a few of the locals helped themselves....

In the end we lost the control box, cables, wires, and fuel tanks.
Dealer stated that it was no not current, need to locate a used one, I asked what I was looking for and was told, We just don't want to deal with it.......
could someone please give me some direction
First
I need the Part number for the control box, or location to contact that can keep me on point , if someone has a used unit or knows of someone to contact for a used unit.
its a Johnson, Model Number TJ40ELENM

were looking on ebay and I see about seven different units Red plug, elect drive, Mod unit etc. I just down to spend money on the wrong one.

Second
How do you measure for cables and wiring? run a string and add a foot or two?

any and all input would be great

thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The wiring harnesses are usually a standard 15-foot in length. The control box you need will be a red plug box. Any of the later style side mount boxes from the early 1980s on up to about 1993 will work for you. These are the ones with the warm-up lever mounted on top of the box. The earlier boxes with the warmup mounted under and aft of the main handle may work, but are getting harder to find parts for.

If you visit a site that sells throttle and shift cables, they usually have some sort of diagram to get you the cable length you need. I'd start here on iBoats.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What does your insurance adjuster say?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Looks like your engine is a 92. You can read through the factory exploded parts diagrams on the web to see just what may have come with the engine. Most of the controls are probably discontinued and it's not worth purchasing new, with a bunch of adapter cables. Best to look up used parts, perhaps on ebay. Anyway, check out this website: epc.brp.com They have all the original part numbers and diagrams for your exact engine, so you can get an idea of what you're looking for. There are tons of these control boxes around. The only thing you need to know is whether the engine has power trim or not. That switch is the one important thing which differentiates the boxes. You'll need a control box with the trim switch in the handle if your engine has power trim.

mwagne30

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just like to say thanks for the insight, we have started hunting for the factory control box and once we have it we will order the factory cables. Fuel Tanks seem easy enough to locate,

Insurance adjuster.... we never had a chance to put it in the water let alone get insurance on it.... the kids had it delivered on a Tuesday and by that Friday when we arrived it was stripped off. its covered now, but that's who it rolls for me, day late and dollar short.

Anyhow, Thanks again for the input and direction, and as far as shopping right here, you bet, were going to have a very long Christmas shopping list full of pontoon Ideas.