Evinrude XP200 lacks power

SaltySteel

Recruit
I have a 1991 Javelin 396FS with a 1990 Evinrude XP200. The guy I bought it from said it was in perfect shape, had it re-cleared and the upholstery redone with new carpet and had the motor rebuilt. After about owning it for the first year I was happy so far. Had it up to 65MPH on GPS the first time I took it out with no gear, no trolling motor or trolling motor batteries.

Then I noticed a little vibration and wiggle in the rear end while trolling for stripped bass in the Tennessee river. Turned out the transom was about half way rotted out. I took the motor off, cut off the top cap, bored out the transom and properly filled it with Seacast. Turned out great. Re-sealed the cap and screwed down the aluminum seal plate and bolted the motor back on.

Then the next problem occurred. Turned out the middle deck was completely rotten. Cut the fiberglass layer out and the wood deck under it was black top soil. The flotation foam was water logged. The inner box for ski and rod storage was rotten, rear bulk head was rotten, front bulk head was ok. Top 3 inches of the stringers were rotten in the middle deck area. They were solid up towards the consoles and towards the rear seats. Ripped the top 3 inches off and laid in new wood. Rebuilt the rear bulkhead and inner storage box. Glassed it all in. Rebuilt the latitude slats that go from side to side for more deck support. Glassed them in. Laid the new deck in. Glassed it in. Filled the under side of the deck with flotation foam. Glued down new carpet and was done with that.

Then my stator burnt out so I decided to replace the stator, timer base, power pack, and all 6 coils, spark plug wires and spark plugs. Ran like a new motor the first day I took it out and a few hours on the river it started running like garbage. The new stator burnt out. I live close to CDI Electronics and their engineer tested all of the components for me and gave me a new one. Everything else was good. Motor won't push the boat above 8mph. Checked timing and WOT timing in a test tank, checked fuel pump, cleaned the carbs, needle seats looked brand new, replaced all fuel lines, checked pick up tube in the tank, replaced fuel filter and primer bulb, ran the motor with the temp sensors unplugged, unplugged shift switch and kill switch wires from the power pack, had the flywheel and magnets and center magnet verified by a few different professionals and one engineer and it was perfect. Indexed the flywheel. Foot has no binding in it. Link and sync is good. Compression is 95psi on all pistons. I'm just about stumped with this issue. The motor should run like a bat out of heck. But it won't.

About to give up and sell it. Looking into center consoles with a T top. See more and more every year on the Tennessee river here in Alabama. I have a lot of experience with CC's while being stationed on the coast when I was in the Marines.

I'm currently trying to figure out this issue with my motor and trying my hardest to not throw in the towel. I've also replaced the ignition key switch. No luck. Boat looks brand new and sits under a cover in the backyard. :( Thought I got a steal when I bought it for 4500 bucks. I like the style and layout. Put a recessed trolling motor tray in the front deck and carpeted it to match the deck. Looks great. Boat has a Bluetooth radio and new speakers, Lowrance down scan and GPS, Minn Kota 70# trolling motor, flush mount rod holders. Everything.

I just need a top for it and can't find one. I'm looking for the top that attaches to the top on the windshields so it can stay up while going full speed. Something a regular Bimini top can't do. Plus those tops I'm talking about look better but I can't find one anywhere. The mounts on my boat say EZ mount on them. But can't find one of those tops anywhere.

I noticed that bullet28027 has one of those tops on his boat in the pictures. Do you or anyone know where to get one? Or what other possible issues could be with my motor? And also looking to replace my steering wheel. It's a 5 bolt. Any good brands or models? Any help from anyone about any of this would be greatly appreciated. Not trying to hijack this thread either.

Last edited by a moderator:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Do a cylinder drop test on it once and maybe that will tell you something.