1996 Johnson 9.9 carb rebuild

nitmoles

Cadet
I need to replace my carb body. I bought one on eBay with MX 340629. Mine was only 340629. What is the difference? The outboard is j10 Redd. I was planning on using the new carb body ,MX 340629 , and putting all my original parts onto it.
Is there any problem in doing that?
Thank you in advance.

thatone123

Banned
I partly rebuilt on lately, and also a 15. One thing I noticed is that one 9.9 had a larger opening at the rear hole where it goes on the block. I have not seen this before, but there is lots of talk on the 15 conversion about how the venturi hole is larger on the 15 carb, which it is. I did the conversion on a 85 9.9 and am really happy with the results as the whole power band is improved, not just the top end as stated on u-tube etc. Not sure this helps!

nitmoles

Cadet
thank you for your reply.
i am not trying to convert a 9.9 into a 15 though.
i damaged the idle circuit slightly while drilling out the welch plug. therefore needing a new carb body. which is not available new.
i bought a part on ebay. and. as far as i've heard 1993 -2001 (last production date) all the 9.9s and 15 carburetors were the same...
so i'm finding a few parts, without opening it up yet, to be different. question is. will the carb body p/n 340629 (which came off my 1996) be the same as p/n mx 340629?
if it looks good. i plan on removing everything from the mx 340629 carb (ebay) and putting all my parts on my 340629. or do i use the whole new carb?

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't say for certain, but that MX prefix is probably just a casting code or subcontactor ID. The actual OMC part # wouldn't have a letter prefix.

daselbee

Commander
There are no OMC partnumbers with any alpha prefixes. MX? Probably means nothing....could even be the mold ID for the plastic molding operation. Who knows.
Or a factory code...

But the fact that the numbers are the same....I would go with it as being the same part.

daselbee

Commander
Ok...goes to show and it is a lesson learned...do not post up anything without checking the parts list. Note to self.

So the part number you got was stamped into the side of the METAL carb body, right?
If so, that is a casting number. They too do not have any alpha prefix meaning.

In other words, when you go to your local evinrude dealer and say I want to buy a 340629, he will look it up and find no hits.
It is a casting number that is sold as part of a complete assembly.

Again, I would go with it as being the same, MX or no MX.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^think that's right. I think your full carb assembly is 0436778, but there is so much stuff out there about 9.9 and 15 hp carbs, hard to say what you might currently have. In any case, if you are replacing carb body parts, use it if it fits (JMO).

nitmoles

Cadet
yes correct. full carb assembly is 436778.
thank you very much for all the helpful information.
it is much appreciated.
as for different parts on the mx carb (different part # on butterfly, the two holes are slightly larger.... when comparing p/n's it looks like it could be from 93 or so) i was planning on only using the mx carb body and putting all my parts back on. does that sound like a good plan?