Wiring harness from 91 Johnson to 02 question.

EHardgrave

Seaman
We are switching our older 91 Johnson wiring to a 2002 Johnson 4 stroke. Purchased the adapter harness and the system check gauge. After review of Seloc and this site I have determined I think, the purple wire is positive. Is this always the case? The reason I ask is it had a loop solder less connector on it like for a screw to go through. I know grounds are usually black so does this ground back at the motor then? Also branching off of the 8 pin connector for the gauge is a 2 pin connector also a purple wire and I don’t remember the other color. What would this go to? Thanks for your help.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Wiring harness from 91 Johnson to 02 question.

The 2 wire connector (purple and tan wires) go to the warning horn that you need to have. <br /><br />Purple wires are 12V + when the key is turned on and they also power the gauges that you hook up.

EHardgrave

Seaman

We have an opening on the fuse panel should I put that purple lead to that? Seloc talks about a 20 amp fuse (if the guage doesn't work). I could put it behind a 20 amp fuse in the open slot. The old system has a horn that sounds when the key is turned to on. Would I still need the one that hooks to the 2 pin conector? If so do you know a part number or a good place to order it from?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You need the NEW horn as it is a completely different design than the pre-1996 "buzzer". Any Johnson Evinrude dealer can order it.<br /><br />Only use the extra purple wire and the ground to power any additional gauges. Do not hook it anywhere else.

EHardgrave

Seaman

I appreciate your time seahorse. What I am saying is I have a place on the fuse panel where there isn’t a fuse or anything just an empty holder. Could I put the purple wire to the hot side of that and place a 20 amp fuse in it or should I just tap off of an existing “key on” hot? Also there isn’t a loose ground (black) that I see to screw to anything, so does it get its ground from the motor end of the harness?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

your 20 amp ign fuse is on the motor. DO NOT hook up the purple wire to your hull fuse block.<br /> buy the correct horn or you will have no audible alarm. if you have the system check tach with 4 lamps it has the horn driver built in. same as the system check gauge.

EHardgrave

Seaman

Since the "loose" purple wire on the harness is on the gauge end it will have to go to some hot that probably comes from the hull fuse block initially won't it? We bought what is called the 2" system check tach P/N 0775810 but there is no tach on it just the 4 system LED's. The harness Y's out at the dash with a 8 pin connector that goes to this gauge and a 2 pin connector and the “loose” purple wire with a solder less end. Are you saying that the gauge will trigger the audible alarm that should be on the 2 pin connector?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

your harness kit should have the horn included. <br /> it also has extra leads to power different gauges or a seperate aftermarket tach. your making a plug and play operation complicated. plug in the correct horn in the two wire connector if its not there. plug in the system check harness. tape off any leads that are not used. again DO NOT hook up any black,gray or purple wiring to anything but a gauge. gray is tach send black is ground and purple is key on 12V+. BUT DO NOT hook these wires to anything but the correct gauge. tape them off if not used.

EHardgrave

Seaman

That's the problem it isn't plug and play. The local dealer got us the main harness adapter from the older round red plug to the newer multi plug end. We also got this check gauge harness that runs the length of the boat and ends at the dash with the 8 pin plug, the purple wire with the solder less loop on the end and the 2 pin plug. Obviously the 8 pin goes to the 4 LED system check gauge (that was purchased separately) and sounds like the 2 pin goes to a new audible alarm and the purple wire must be the power for the gauge and alarm. This power will have to come from somewhere under the dash.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I think you are getting confused about the power source of the purple 12V + wire. It comes from the key switch and when the key is turned to ON or START, 12 volts flow thru that purple wire to power a gauge. That's all it is.

EHardgrave

Seaman

OK, so what you are saying is that the purple wire already has power from the engine side of the harness. It would be for hooking up another gauge besides the sys check and the buzzer? So assuming I don’t hook anything else besides these 2 (sys check and warning horn) up I need to tape it up so it doesn’t touch anything else? If it was grounded during this process what fuse should I look for to be blown? Please correct me again if I missed the big picture here.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

OK, you got it now!!!! If the pruple wire is shorted, you will blow the 20amp fuse on the motor.