80 HP Johnson Super Seahorse V4SL-18C Wiring to Evinrude power pilot help!

BULLRIDER95NM

Recruit
Hi I just purchased a Glasspar Marathon with a 80HP Johnson Super Seahorse that has an Evinrude Power Pilot control. The wires from the engine wiring harness are intact to the junction box, but the wiring from the Evinrude controls are cut and i am trying to maybe find schematics for both. I am in the process trying to figure out which wire goes where. I got the engine to start with the key but the solenoid keeps clicking and it wont shut off because i dont have the short wired since it is run by a magneto. Any help is appreciated! And i am in need of a gear shift cable. Thank You!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

A model number of the engine would help. In 1966 some 80hp were magneto, some were battery. In 1967, all were battery.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Ignore the generator stuff if not equipped.

Attachments

• photo252110.jpg
    photo252110.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 16

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Evinrude Power Pilot control?? Not the correct control for the motor. I suppose if you are an electrician you may be able to figure it out.

BULLRIDER95NM

Recruit
Haha thanks for the schematic! I'm no electrician but i can hold my own. just trying to figure out the short wire and electric choke right now. I currently have to kill the engine by cutting off fuel. Any advice for a control? and which gear shift cable to get?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I can't think of any reason your control won't work once you get it wired up. There were two types of shift/throttle cables. Type 400 with removable ends and Type 479 with ends permanently attached. Replace in like kind. Get 'em here at iboats.

When turned "off", the key switch grounds the wire coming from the side of the magneto to stop the motor. Key switch needs two "M" terminals.

The diagram shows the funky Normally Closed choke override switch briefly used in 1964. Use the Normally Open alternate wiring insert for your 1966.

BULLRIDER95NM

Recruit
I can't think of any reason your control won't work once you get it wired up. There were two types of shift/throttle cables. Type 400 with removable ends and Type 479 with ends permanently attached. Replace in like kind. Get 'em here at iboats.

When turned "off", the key switch grounds the wire coming from the side of the magneto to stop the motor. Key switch needs two "M" terminals.

The diagram shows the funky Normally Closed choke override switch briefly used in 1964. Use the Normally Open alternate wiring insert for your 1966.
You wouldn't happen to have schematics for the power pilot as well so i can double check things over?