Evinrude 1977 115hp Power Pack Problems

wlichti

Cadet
Hi

I have a 1977 115hp motor which has been rebuilt and now the power pack keeps blowing no spark on any cyc. (new starter, battery cables, replaced diode bridge) I bought a used one on ebay and put it in two cycls immediately starting working 1 & 3 but 2 & 4 didnt so I swapped the coils and 2 & 4 started working. I then ordered new coils and put them in and now none of the cycls fire again.... Could it be grounds I did check the stator and triggers with a home made DVA adapter to my digital meter and I was in the correct ranges....

Help would be great I have just been told my cancer is back and I probably dont have a lot of time left so I am trying to get things done and sold for my wife....

Wayne

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
wlichti , so sorry to hear about your cancer, may god bless. cdi electronics has good troubleshooting for your motor . i would try disconnecting the yellow/black wire from the motor it is the shutdown wire , see if spark returns. hope this helps.:joyous:

wlichti

Cadet
Hi thanks I have the yellow black disconnected

I put in the used power pack and 1 & 3 lit up but 2 & 4 didnt I assumed it was coils after moving 1 & 3 to 2 & 4's output and they worked. So I purchased new coils and now nothing has spark. I have had trouble with the fuse holder could this be a source of problems.... I followed the CID guide when I took the readings.... I would like to know what would cause the whole pack to go bad its happened twice.

wlichti

Cadet
Ok I understand but all failing twice there must be something I can check and does anybody have a electrical schematic of the power pack

wlichti

Cadet
Hi all found the problem the "new" rectifier wasnt so new so when I took it back out behold the pack started working

Thanks for the comments

Wayne Lichti

wlichti

Cadet
Also sierra marine has a install / trouble shooting guide for its power pack It was easier than CDI's manual and got me thinking about the rectifier again

Wayne

wlichti

Cadet
Sorry it was CDI's installation and trouble shooting guide for the specific power pack

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The rectifier should have nothing t do with the pack ignition. Two different systems