Johnson J30ELCUB fuel line question

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
I like to replace the fuel lines on my motor every few years and in doing so have a question if the lines run as they are, are correct or if it matters.

From the output side of the fuel pump there is a 3/16 line that runs aft of the motor to the port side where it goes to a T. One leg of the T goes to the carb, the other to the primer. As I reinstall each new piece of fuel line I pump fuel through the lines to whatever point I am up to in order to flush any debris out. In doing this I noticed that fuel came out the inline side of the T but not the 90 degree side. Closing off the inline side and pumping again fuel flowed freely out the 90 degree side. This I assume had to do with back pressure and not a clog, BUT it made me wonder, if the inline side of the T has less back pressure does it make a difference whether that side goes to carb or primer?

Now, I'm not looking for opinions, I'm just wondering how these lines were run from the factory on a Johnson J30ELCUB, Thanks

Last edited:

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
I think I figured this out by the parts diagram, that it should be the way I found it with the straight line through the T going to the primer and the 90 degree of the T going to the carb. Can anyone verify?