Johnson 85 V4 - cleaned fuel screen and now fuel lines leak in three places?

keston925

Cadet
My 1982 Johnson 85 V4 Seahorse has been running OK (but I usually have to start it with starting fluid) Put in a new primer ball and line (didn't fix the problem), SO I cleaned the carb - not only did it not help BUT then it started stalling at idle - SO this weekend I cleaned the fuel line leading to the fuel pump and the fuel screen (it doesn't have a typical fuel filter) and now when I try to pump the prime ball it wont get hard AND clearly the fuel line is leaking at three connections leading to and from the fuel pump?

UGH... why would the fuel lines all the sudden start leaking...? the clamps are all nice and tight

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it is past time to rebuild the entire fuel delivery system from tank to engine. Fuel line doesn't last forever. And it also sounds like you have fuel pump issues too. I would buy a fuel pump kit and install it. There are usually cheap and easy to come by depending on which type you have. JMHO

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure you have the fuel hose from the tank going in the right direction? (The arrow on the hose bulb goes in the direction of fuel flow....) None of the hoses on this engine are capable of handling today's ethanol fuels. Do you know if any of these hoses were ever replaced? Over time the original hoses will break down and leak. Worse- bits of degenerated fuel hose will break off and lodge in the innards of the carbs, including the jets. When you had the carbs apart, did you remove all the jets for a visual inspection?

James R

Commander
I have considerable time spent on trying to rebuild fuel pumps and in my very humble opinion you are better off spending a little extra and getting a new pump. I no longer rebuild fuel pumps.

interalian

Commander
'80 was the last year for 85hp. I second the motion of replacing all the fuel lines and I'll go one farther: don't use zip ties, use fuel injection clamps. Does your motor have a primer or choke? If primer (should on '80 up), check it's working. If choke, do they close fully? Shouldn't use starter fluid on a 2-stroke - no lube.

PS: I did a rebuild on mine and it works like a charm.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I have considerable time spent on trying to rebuild fuel pumps and in my very humble opinion you are better off spending a little extra and getting a new pump. I no longer rebuild fuel pumps.

Repair kit for the pump is $24.00, and easier than a carb rebuild. The new pump is about $60.00. Ethanol is a fuel system killer so change the fuel lines. The plastic manifold should be ok unless it was damaged when removing the carbs.