Age of Antique Johnson's

indybob

Recruit
I have two old Johnson's that I'm looking for information on. The first has a number on top of the flywheel of 1-96432 and says Johnson Motor Co. The other is a Johnson Sea Horse model TD 20 with serial# 573183. Please help with age, hp and value of these motors. Both motors turn free but don't know if they will start.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Age of Antique Johnson's

Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />The TD20 is easy. 5Hp between 1946-49. Common as dirt. Big seller back then. Lots still running. The other must be a part or casting number. Any other numbers on it?

Paul Moir

Admiral

With that S/N, the TD-20 is a 1947 engine. There's no difference between the '46-'49 TD-20s, so this is only important for interests sake. They're great engines: they never seem to ever wear out. A number of people on this site run them regularly.<br /><br />As for the second engine, real old Johnsons used to have their S/Ns cast into the flywheel. Is it possible that number is J-96432? If so, that would date it to 1929. A number of different models were available that year. Can you describe it a bit to us? How many cylinders, etc? Any other numbers you can find on it? Any chance of a picture?

indybob

Recruit

I don't have the motor here to recheck the serial #. The number is cast into the flywheel. The motor is a single cylinder all aluminum colored (no paint).

Paul Moir

Admiral

How very strange! I'm pretty sure the only '29 Johnson engine that had a single cylinder was the 1.5hp J-25. Only a couple months ago someone else here was IDing their '26 J-25. There's lots of interesting links, pictures and such in that thread:<br /> J-25 Thread, click here.<br /> <br />Does that seem to match up?

new boater 1234

Recruit

Hi, I have an Evinrude angler, which i think is a 5hp. I kneed to know the oil/gas mixture. The serial # is 5803M-E01025. Any help is appreciated,
-Sam

gejandsons

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HP year model
5 1966 5602
5 1966 5603
5 1967 5702
5 1967 5703
5 1968 5802
5 1968 5803

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

No way to ID the older Johnson without the letter/number combo stamped somewhere on it. I think what you've posted is a serial number. If it's a J model, like already stated, it could be a wide range of years up through the 30's, when the 1 cylinders went to 100, 200, 300 designations. Check it for compression and spark...if it has both, mix up some clean 16:1 fuel mix, clean the tank and carb, put it in a barrel and try to start it. Don't run it too long in the barrel as the water pumps on those really old motors aren't self priming...they need the forward motion of the boat to push water into the pump and get the circulation going. Nice find...wish I was so lucky.

new boater 1234

Recruit

Where would i find the Model number?? I got the engine from a relative that died of cancer, and it had a little gas in it when i got it. I ran it the day i got it for about a minute, in water to see if it ran, and it did very well. It is in amazing condition and i am not sure it was ever used more than an hour or so since she bought it. It is a two cylinder engine. Thanks for all your help, Sam