Armiture plate cam on 6h johnson 1976

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The armiture plate cam has too much play in it. I goes past where cam meets the plate. The throttle control link goes too far out and touches the motor cover and gets hung up. What do I do to fix this? In other words the full speed is good but the slow speed goes too far back.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what you mean. Pictures?? I don't know if it has anything to do wit it, but is the starter interlock cam on it?

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The cam follower is way over on the right while the armiture plate is too far left. Full speed is good

Attachments

• photo251499.jpg
    photo251499.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Don't know if this applies to a 1976 or not, but on an earlier model retard is limited by a tab on the bottom of the gear. You may also have excess slop in the linkage allowing it to continue to move after the tab contacts. OR, are your coils dragging on the flywheel magnets? That will tend to torque the armature plate around in direction of flywheel rotation.

Attachments

• photo251506.JPG
    photo251506.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 0

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You are good! That part is broken on my motor. Thank you. I will see if I can fabricate something.

BigB9k

Seaman Apprentice
F_R;n10265703... [/QUOTE said:
Pretty clean 6 HP there. No paint on grommet, or head screws. Repainted?

Anywho, that little tab isnt going to help much, it stops it pretty much where yours is.
It may look odd, but that is how far back it goes.

Also, are you sure its hitting the motor cover?

supercoolbabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gets stuck sometimes and i cannot turn handle. Cam on my other motors have a roller that seems to help from keeping it from getting jambed.
I was fortunate to get this motor as it had hardly been used. It had a responsible owner who took good care of it. I use it on my 17' Grumman canoe that I have added a transom and a friend build an adjustable "whale tail" to steady it. Moves along very well. No wake zones are fun because I can go full speed while everyone else idles.