1966 Evinrude 9.5 High RPMs at Idle

rokitjon

Cadet
Hi All - new to this forum.
I picked up this 9.5 and was told by the owner he'd taken it to a mechanic who said it'd be too costly to fix. Got it for $25 so who could pass it up?
The thing started the first pull and immediately hit high rpm's with throttle at idle, a lot of white smoke..I can't see any mechanical reason in the linkage to cause this and the throttle stop under the flywheel is in the proper position, but I found something really fishy - a block of wood jammed between the engine and housing! There are supposed to be two screws that hold these bulkheads together but one is missing and the other one is backed out about 3 threads.

Being that I'm new to outboard motors but a fairly experienced mechanic I says to myself "Hmm, that don't look OEM!" Maybe one of you guys have seen this kind of jury rig and can tell me what's going on? I don't see how this could effect the rpm problem as it doesn't appear to effect throttle position.

I have looked over the carb and cannot find any adjustment screws or even the idle screws..I just see the mixture valve..Help would be greatly appreciated!

Btw if this thing can be put right I'll be using it on an old 12ft Sea King.

Just discovered I can only load one picture -

Attachments

• 100_4352.jpg
    100_4352.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 1

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
That block of wood is replacing a motor mount. They are a pain to replace, and I'm sure quite expensive if you were to pay a shop to do it. On your carburetor, the only adjustment is the low speed mixture. The high speed mixture is not adjustable, and the idle speed is adjusted by ignition timing only. Nothing on the carb is used to adjust idle speed. The thumb screw behind the flywheel is used to set idle speed. It seems likely to me that with the rigged motor mount that the throttle linkage is probably advancing the timing.

rokitjon

Cadet
That block of wood is replacing a motor mount. They are a pain to replace, and I'm sure quite expensive if you were to pay a shop to do it. On your carburetor, the only adjustment is the low speed mixture. The high speed mixture is not adjustable, and the idle speed is adjusted by ignition timing only. Nothing on the carb is used to adjust idle speed. The thumb screw behind the flywheel is used to set idle speed. It seems likely to me that with the rigged motor mount that the throttle linkage is probably advancing the timing.

Thanks RCO!
I have a 1989 Johnson 9.9 Sailmaster and that thing is a horror! Being a long shaft I don't have a need for it, but this 9.5 looks to be much easier to deal with.
Hey, one other question: Would this possible timing situation cause the engine to smoke (white smoke) a lot?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The 9.5 and 9.9 are light years apart in design.
I agree, that block of wood may be the problem. The mount is a horror to replace, that's why the guy said it isn't worth fixing. But just so you know, the IDLE SPEED (RPM) adjustment is the round knob near where the fuel line from the tank plugs onto the motor. It limits how far you can turn the twist grip toward "slow".

rokitjon

Cadet
I found that knob to be turned too far in, setting the grip index mark at Start position. Now it's set to where it will twist down to Stop, so that may solve that problem. It pays to read what the knob says!
As far as the mount, it looks like all I have to do is disconnect the shift linkage, split the housing cases and I'm in there...That's what it "looks" like anyway - we'll see what happens when I begin disassembly.

As for the smoking problem, I haven't much experience with outboard motors. I am using 50:1 non-synthetic and am getting what appears to be a bit too much oil in the test barrel water too..Could I lean this down to 60:1 synthetic and be OK?

rokitjon

Cadet
Can't edit my last reply - will try the mixture adjustment to see if that solves the smoking problem..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This motor runs on 50:1 mixture.---------No need to start changing to any other ratio at all.--------All 2 strokes load up a barrel with oil on the water.--------That usually scares a novice.

rokitjon

Cadet
This motor runs on 50:1 mixture.---------No need to start changing to any other ratio at all.--------All 2 strokes load up a barrel with oil on the water.--------That usually scares a novice.

Thanks for that, every bit of knowledge is appreciated!
So far this is looking like it's worth getting back in the water. I'll do a compression check then start throwing money at. That motor mount is stupid expensive but everything is nowadays.. Bought a quart of synthetic motor oil yesterday - $10.69..sheesh..