Selectric shift question

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a Evinrude 50 HP outboard model # 50272c . It runs well , but does not shift into reverse. I checked the wiring and both the green and blue wires are hot when I push the reverse button as they should be. I also checked the ohms on the solenoids and the are at 6 ohms as they should be . The motor shifts into neutral fine , just not reverse. I pulled the low end , checked and set the placement of the plungers in the solenoids , flush at the top . Any ideas on what else could be wrong ? it seems to me that if the pump was bad I would not have neutral , but perhaps that is not so .

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Are you checking the green and blue wires for voltage while they are connected to the lower unit cable? You should be. Otherwise, you will get a false (no load) reading.

Another test is to use a jumper wire directly between the battery + and both green and blue wires at the lower unit cable, at the same time. If it still doesn't go into reverse, it probably is a piece of grit imbedded in the shifter piston / oil pump assembly. Or a piece of crud in the ball valve operated by the reverse solenoid. Short story is make darn sure it isn't an electrical problem before tearing into the lower unit.

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks for the advise I have tried the jumper to both blue and green wires that come from the solenoids, to no avail. I thought perhaps there was something that these units were known for, something I missed thanks again