gear box oil longevity 20hp johnson 1985

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the motor is not run for many years, say 20, can the gear oil actually dry up or thicken up?Tried changing oil in old motor and barley any came out and it looked like molasses.Filled with new and took out and ran alittle and came back and drained again and it was black already.Filled again and am going to go for another run and drain again.Can't figure this one out.None coming out in water when I went out and did not see any water in it when drained.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Just drain and fill a couple of times until it looks right.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes. You can drain, fill with diesel fuel, Let sit a few days, then drain. That will clean out the gunk. Then drain, Let sit with the plug out for a few hour, then fill and go boating after you change the impeller

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK-thanks.Can anyone explain why it would be like this?Supposedly it was out of service for years.Talked to mechanic at Marina and he said it should not have got like that..I did the refill two times and the third drain it was pretty good.Will run one more time and refill.No water was present and it seemed to run great.Put me up on plane fast in my little 1440 Lowe jon modified V

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
OK-thanks.Can anyone explain why it would be like this?Supposedly it was out of service for years.Talked to mechanic at Marina and he said it should not have got like that..I did the refill two times and the third drain it was pretty good.Will run one more time and refill.No water was present and it seemed to run great.Put me up on plane fast in my little 1440 Lowe jon modified V
I reckon some water, perhaps not very much, had got in there and over the years caused some corrosion.

Check it for water intrusion periodically now you have it running again. The oil should remain "clear and bright". If there is any sign of cloudiness it's due to water and you will have to replace the seals

F_R

Supreme Mariner
How do you know what was put in it 20 years ago? Heck, somebody may have filled it with 140 weight. Or maybe the grease that used to be used in many old motors.

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering if somebody put the wrong oil in also?Or if someone drained it and figured they would refill when they used it again and forgot.Will never know.Just hope it keeps on going.