Rectifier Wiring

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So im working on my motor, it didnt have a rectifier and now im adding one. 2 yellow and 1 red. where do these wires go on the bar??? do i just connect them to the same color wires? some spots on the bar are empty.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
And you need to have the charging coils for the rectifier to work, this may mean more parts are needed.

Evinrude57

Cadet
It doesnt matter what spots they go in, one yellow wire from the stator to one yellow wire to the recifier, the other yellow wire to the other yellow wire. Sometimes one of the yellow wires will have a gray stripe but it really doesnt matter which of the two yellow wires attach to eachother.

The red wire from the rectifier connects to the red wiring in the wiring harness that goes over to the starter solenoid.

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i looked up the wiring harness it says rectifier with regulator and has 5 wires coming off of it, the one they gave me at west marine has only 3

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The water cooled rectifier/regulator is used on models with power trim & tilt. The three wire rectifier is used on models without power trim & tilt. CDI now makes an improved three wire rectifier that includes voltage regulation. Is that what they sold you? If yes, that's great. If no, then it is as good as it was when originally built, but voltage will go high with long running & low electrical loads.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
If i use this will my battery overcharge??
It is impossible to answer the question with certainty because
  • You have not identified the engine by providing the model number that Boobie requested.
  • You have not said if it has power tilt and trim in response to F_R's post.
  • You are unable to identify the rectifier you have bought.
My best guess would be that a rectifier rated for 10 amps would be a regulated rectifier. If that is so then you should not overcharge the battery.

If it is unregulated and you only have a 6 amp stator coil then you may overcharge on long runs. You should not use a "low maintenance" battery that you cannot top up.

If it is unregulated and you have a 10 amp stator it will overcharge the battery. You should exchange it for a regulated rectifier.

Id suggest trying it and monitoring the battery volts, especially on some long runs. If the volts never rise above 14.4 then it is a regulated rectifier and all is well.
If they only exceed this figure on long runs then use a conventional flooded battery which you can top up if and when necessary.
If they always exceed this figure by a significant margin then exchange the rectifier for a regulated one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Do you have the box or receipt or something?

If they sold you an unregulated rectifier it most likely is a Sierra Marine 18-5708 or a CDI 153-3408.

If they sold you the new CDI regulated rectifier, it is a CDI 193-3408.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well that confirms you bought an unregulated rectifier. Now the question becomes doesn't your motor have a water cooled rectifier/regulator already on it? It would be a fairly large unit mounted on top of the cylinder block, aft of the flywheel, between the cylinder's V.

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so under the flywheel i see a piece thats bolted on and has wires going to it. i assume thats what your talking about. so since i didnt know their was a watercooled rectifier on it, when i get my boat going im gonna test the battery and see if it gets a load when motor is running.. thanks

interalian

Commander
Is it a cast aluminum box bolted (2 bolts) on the port side of the block and with 3 wires? IIRC the water cooled unit bolts in the center and includes its own rectifier.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

I dunno, there seems to be some confusion as to what's supposed to be on it. This is the water cooled unit that is supposed to be on it according to my information.

Attachments

• photo251418.jpg
    photo251418.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 7

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well, what can I say? If it doesn't have that unit, it must have the blank water cover in its place. Otherwise you would have water gushing out big time. Maybe the tilt & trim was added after the motor left the factory, and all it ever had was the small rectifier-only unit? It will work that way.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
i see i dont see anything on my motor that looks like that

Well, what can I say? If it doesn't have that unit, it must have the blank water cover in its place. Otherwise you would have water gushing out big time. Maybe the tilt & trim was added after the motor left the factory, and all it ever had was the small rectifier-only unit? It will work that way.
The model number suggests that it originally had T&T.

If there is no rectifier regulaltor on top of the block then I guess it will have cover #43 to which the lifting eye #71 can/will be bolted

convert