Another T/T question

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Am starting another about the T/T circuit; I had the motor on my Bayliner replaced with a 100HP Evinrude. It did not have a switch on the motor. Switch at the helm is 15A spring loadedI . I found the blue and green wires inside the motor and wired the switch. Easy! Only problem is no power wire for the switch. I found a hot wire for it; but I did not fuse that wire. Read in another members thread about the Amp draw of the T/T motor (90 Amps) Should I fuse this wire? I do not see a fuse over 15A under the helm or in my wiring diagram. Any help?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I suspect the Evinrude forum would be a better place to get an answer.

Moved

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Boy, think normal draw would be more in the range of 10 to 12 amps, as long as connections are clean and tight.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Model #100999. The switch works great; no problem. I used the same gauge wire; ran it off the hot wire to the starter. Could not find any info on amp draw; until I read in another thread. As opposed to sabotaging his thread; I started another one. Fusing the wire is no problem; just don't know what size fuse to use.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
After exhausting my search with the 90A post; I started from scratch. I looked up the wiring diagram for the boat. It did show a 15A circuit for the T/T trim circuit; but stopped at the wiring harness for the motor. I looked up the wiring diagram from the old motor (85 Force). It shows a Red wire going to a circuit breaker; then feeding the two relays. Need to find that CB and splice into the hot wires to the relays. Hopefully that will easy fix.
OB;I I looked up that site ; but couldn't connect. Thanks to all with the comments.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
To be help me understand, the 79 power trim diagram should show a remote control box, mounted under the rear splashwell of the boat. This box should be connected direct to the battery, with a set of wires going to the trim motor and to the trim switch. The purpose of the trim box is to handle the heavy amp draw of the motor when it tries to push the engine aft. All OMC trim systems have some type of control box-these early ones are not mounted in the cowling. So, not sure if you are trying to wire the function of the trim motor direct through the trim switch or not. If you do not use the 1979 control box, you will be placing undue stress on the switch and it will tend to burn out prematurely. You should check out the original factory parts diagram for your engine at the original factory parts diagram website: epc.brp.com. You'll see the box that should be in your system. Your motor is a special 3-wire motor and requires that exact box. Later models (Mid 1982) went to a 2-wire motor and use a box with a pair of relays.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry for the delay. Have been fighting a Kidney infection and its got me down. Will check for any volltage; etc on that control box; and will check in the Force manuals I still have. I also have PM'ed a Force Guru on this this forum that can help with some input. Right now he is in that TS mess on the East Coast.
Thanks again for the info emd!