95 Johnson 115 warm starting issues

rparde

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I've got a 95 Johnson 115 Ocean Runner, model #J115SLEOC. The boat starts great in the driveway and also at the boat ramp. However, after I run the boat for a while then try to restart it the starter will only spin. It doesn't sound like it is engaging the flywheel. If I wait for a while (20 minutes or so) it will usually then crank back up. If I take it home and flush the motor with water for about 5 or 10 minutes it will then also start.

I've got a new battery and since I like to throw parts at things it now has a new starter. I've also checked and cleaned all the electrical connections. I've read about the Bendix sticking however it is hard to get at on this motor, everything is encased and would require the removal of the flywheel cover so I haven't checked it out.
If anyone has any recommendations I would greatly appreciate the help.

Ryan

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Have you diagnosed the starter solenoid? If it's old, the internal electrical contacts could easily be burned. When they get that way, they don't transfer the proper current to the starter...

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Along with the solenoid suggestion above, lunricating the bendix and assembly may be necessary. Do you have a manual to aid in the removal of the flywheel cover

rparde

Seaman Apprentice
I do have the manual, I'll check the solenoid as suggested before I study up on the flywheel removal. Hopefully the solenoid is the issue! Thanks for the help.