Voltage Regulator 1964 75hp Johnson Electamatic

Garkin

Recruit
Can I use a solid state GM or Chrysler Automotive Voltage Regulator on my '64 Johnson 75hp Electramatic?<br />I was given the motor with no wiring harness so I am having to make my own. Was told I could use 50volt 25watt Radio Shack Voltage Rectifier to convert to DC current but I am getting conflicting info on if I even need a Voltage Regulator or not.<br />I have seen that the Johnsons that used a Generator could use an old mechanical type Ford Voltage Regulator.<br />But a Generator has Armeture, Field and Ground and produces DC without the need of a Rectifier.<br />The wiring diagram from a '65 Electramatic' Manual (the closest manual that I could find to matching my motor) only shows 1 wire going to a regulator.<br />I have 4 wires coming from the Stator.<br />2 yellow wires, a red wire and a blue wire.<br />The manual shows the 2 yellow wires going to a Voltage Rectifier.<br />The blue wire is going to a ground then up the wiring harness to the Tach's ground.<br />And the red wire going to one side of a Regulator and it looks like another red wire comes from the Regulator and goes to the ignition switch and then to the battery side of the coil.<br />So would a GM or Chrysler Solid State Voltage Regulator from the mid '60s to '70s work on my '64 Johnson 75hp Electramatic?<br />Or do I need to use a mechanical Ford type Regulator?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Voltage Regulator 1964 75hp Johnson Electamatic

Orginally that motor had a box mounted in the back of the boat, with 4 diodes 2 +, 2- mounted in a heat sink and a voltage reg. with 3 windings. Do you have any of this stuff--Bob

Garkin

Recruit

I don't have any of the electrical.<br />Don't even have a picture of the original parts.<br />Just a wiring diagram.<br />My brother gave me an old boat and 3 incomplete motors to try to get 1 running motor.<br />Trying to keep the costs down by using what ever I can get to work.<br />Was able to replace the 4 diodes with a single more modern Radio Shack 50 volt 25 amp Rectifier that I mounted to a heat sink.<br />Cost me $4. A lot cheaper then finding old stock parts that are no longer made, and should actually work better then the 40 year old technology.<br />From my research it looks like I should be able to replace the stock $150 (if you can find one) regulator with a $10 GM or Chrysler one.<br />Was asking if anyone else has tryed this type of fix. <br />No one has told me about any problems with trying this.<br />I have done similar things in the past with old 2 stroke motorcycles, and was thinking that the same types of fixes should work on an old boat motor from the same time period. Trying to add an electronic ignition system might be asking too much, but it worked on my old Suzuki Titan 500 twin.

Paul Moir

Admiral

You need to use a regulator made for a generator rather than an alternator. A few here have used a 1960 Ford Falcon one sucessfuly. Search this forum for 'generator regulator' and you'll find lots on info.