Serial Number Plate

Carl7051

Recruit
I came across a really good buy on 2 vintage (1950's) outboards. I have an issue with both of them regarding the Serial Number Plate.

The first issue is on a Johnson Sea Horse, I am thinking that it is a 5hp. I cannot find the plate/serial number/ model number...anything, anywhere. I checked the usual places, but no joy. Any suggestions on a definitive way to figure out the year? When I search on Bing for images, it comes up to a 5 hp from 1950.

The second issue is a little easier. My other motor is a small hp Evinrude that some dummy decided to paint. I found the identification plate, but I cannot read it because its covered in black paint. I can make out only a few numbers, not enough to really help. My question with this one is.....Are the numbers on that era motors engraved/stamped or printed. I had the idea to simply spray it with carb cleaner, but I don't want to spray the information away if they are printed. I know this seems a silly question, but I'm new to outboard work and I won't know unless I ask.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I GREATLY appreciate it!

jbcurt00

Staff member
No Title

Look for a nickel sized welch plug on the motors

Attachments

• photo251184.jpg
    photo251184.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0

Xcusme

Commander
Welcome to iboats forum.....

I can see your question CAN be a problem if the data your looking for is painted...but it should be stamped so... get some good brand of paint remover and remove it. It's good that you asked BEFORE you used the remover.....for obvious reasons.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^ plug is safe, and would give you at least a serial number. On the Evinrude -- plate you located can be both painted and stamped (separate unpainted strips for the model number and the serial number). You might try taking a rubbing of the number you found to see if you can get more than a partial.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I came across a really good buy on 2 vintage (1950's) outboards. I have an issue with both of them regarding the Serial Number Plate.

The first issue is on a Johnson Sea Horse, I am thinking that it is a 5hp. I cannot find the plate/serial number/ model number...anything, anywhere. I checked the usual places, but no joy. Any suggestions on a definitive way to figure out the year? When I search on Bing for images, it comes up to a 5 hp from 1950.

The second issue is a little easier. My other motor is a small hp Evinrude that some dummy decided to paint. I found the identification plate, but I cannot read it because its covered in black paint. I can make out only a few numbers, not enough to really help. My question with this one is.....Are the numbers on that era motors engraved/stamped or printed. I had the idea to simply spray it with carb cleaner, but I don't want to spray the information away if they are printed. I know this seems a silly question, but I'm new to outboard work and I won't know unless I ask.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I GREATLY appreciate it!

Assuming the Johnson is a 5hp the numbers are stamped on the lower/side of the cylinder block. Expect to see TD-xx or TN-xx. Both are easy to recognize by the primer / carb adjust wheel on the tank. TN has a neutral clutch, TD is direct drive, no clutch.

The Evinrude numbers should be stamped on the data plate, but the rest of the wording is painted.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

1951 Johnson TN ad

Attachments

• photo251195.jpg
    photo251195.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 0

Carl7051

Recruit
You guys were spot on! I found the number on the Johnson in less than 10 seconds and it right where you said it was. I also decided to use the carb cleaner on the Evinrude (the painted one) and it actually didn't take anything from the plate. It is totally exposed now. I wiped it as soon as I sprayed the carb cleaner, it worked perfectly. Thank you so much for your help.

A positive note, I bought them yesterday after being told that they had been sitting for a number of years (I think he said 12) in a garage. The 5hp Johnson puuuurrrrrrssss! :)