1989 Johnson 110 VRO help

Hi I am a newbie and learning. I have a 1989 Johnson VRO 110 hp as the title states, but when looking up parts I see there is around 6 different model numbers. The transom tag is gone. Is there a place on the motor where the numbers might be stamped. Or does it really matter when ordering parts as long as I have the correct year....Thanks

interalian

Commander
Look on the engine block for a silver aluminum disc. You may luck out and have the model and serial number stamped on that.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
By process of elimination, you should be able to limit it down to 1 or 2 possibilities. If it's not a Tracker, it wont be one of the models beginning with a T. If it's got power trim it will not be the model with the letter M immediately following the 110 it. If its a 20 inch (regular length leg) it will have not have the letter X in the model. The most common model of the group would likely be J110TLCEM, which is a regular Johnson 110 with power trim and a regular length leg.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Here is what the core plug will look like on the top of the block, after the paint is removed.... model identification 2.jpg

James R

Commander
I'm curios. Why are you looking at the VRO. If the oil side has failed, which so often happens, you can disconnect the oil side, plug the oil input line and disconnect electrical plug out of VRO and go 50:1 Mix. Still using the fuel pump side. Much safer and as reliable as you are. If the whole thing is shot you can easily replace the VRO with a standard fuel pump for 50:1. A lot less agro and a lot less expensive.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I'm curios. Why are you looking at the VRO. If the oil side has failed, which so often happens, you can disconnect the oil side, plug the oil input line and disconnect electrical plug out of VRO and go 50:1 Mix. Still using the fuel pump side. Much safer and as reliable as you are. If the whole thing is shot you can easily replace the VRO with a standard fuel pump for 50:1. A lot less agro and a lot less expensive.

I don't think he necessarily has a vro problem I think he is just reading 110 vro off of the engine cowl