1999 200HP Ficht Powerhead swap

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I have two 1999 Ficht 200HP complete motors. One has a bad injector on #4 and the cylinder is also bad. The other motor the computer went out, but still has 120PSI on each cylinder.

Is it just a simple swap the powerhead onto the midsection on the boat, swap the good computer onto the block with 120PSI, and it's good to go. Or is there something else that is going to need to be done?

Just the typical powerhead removal I assume?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Personally, i would sell them both as a pair and buy an etec. These are the motors that made them go belly up. Little support for them.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
I completely agree with that, and understand. If it were my choice on it, they would be gone.... as I know they're extremely frowned upon. Just helping someone out, and this is the route they want to go...Unfortunately...

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, with that said, as long as your not swaping injectors from one block to another, and you have the software, i think its doable.why not just put the emm on the good head instead of swaping powerheads?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I have only changed out emm's back when we had factory support though. @faztbullett may know

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thats the plan is to put the good computer onto the good powerhead, not swapping anything else. But I have to pull the powerhead, and put it on the midsection on the boat. The "good" motor (motor with 120psi compression) doesn't have a title, so I need that powerhead on the mid with the title.

However from what I read, there is something to do with "coefficients" stored in the emm for the injectors? Sounds a little more sophisticated than just bolting something together and going.

Last edited:

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also. On the good computer engine. Since the injector burned up and the cylinder went down. Is the computer going to have all that stored and even start or run without having it re programmed?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Thats why you need the software. To uplaod the fuel map to from injectors to the emm

Its much more sophisticated

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
My software, v5.7 wont allow.me to bring up a ficht. Just etec. If that helps you? I have quit doing anything with them except plugs and winterization. That may change if i end up with a free one though.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeahhhh... I'm lacking that. Can it be done at a dealership or something of the sorts? Meaning ill get the powerhead swapped over and everything bolted up. Then let them get it programmed?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Afyer thinking about this, i am pretty sure the coefficient s are an etec thing. I think the ficht emm is plug and play. Verify this though

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
My main worry is that the computer is possibly bad. I know the injector is completely done. And that #4 hole got beat up a bit. I know on a car that would make it throw a slew of codes. And you either have to reset them via a link to a computer. Or they'll clear themselves after a few drive cycles/being unhooked from the battery for a little bit. But this is just me comparing a boat to a truck here.......

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
The two motors are the exact same year correct with the same part number on both computers? Those engines were undergoing a lot of changes during that time even 1 year different could make a difference.

If you have a powerhead that the only thing that is wrong is the ECU, as long as you answered YES to the above question the ECU off of the blown up motor can be used on the one with the bad ECU. It is NOT plug and play, it will need to be reprogrammed.

The reprogramming previously needed to be done by the Factory or by DFI technologies BUT BRP has enabled this function for their certified service centers using the diagnostic software. That being said a high percentage of their dealers have not done this type of work before and may struggle doing it.

So basically you have 1 or 2 options, #1 if you can find a BRP dealer with a good service department then that will be your most cost effective option. If you cannot find anyone in your area to do it your #2 option is to send both computers to DFI technologies and have them reprogram everything.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Awesome. Thank you. Same year same part number. Just have to locate a dealer now. Judging by what you said above I shouldn't be starting it or anything of that nature prior to having the computer reprogrammed.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Starting it and running it down the lake are two different things, you could probably fire it up to just make sure the ECU is good but i wouldn't run it for very long or put any type of load to it.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gotcha, the owner was running the thing with walmart TCW3 supertech oil. I'm told these NEED to be ran with Evinrude XD50 or XD100 oil... possibly what burned up the injector/cylinder?

I'll fire it up just so that we know it's going to work.

When I turn the key on (Given I have quite a few things disconnected) The check Engine light, and Low oil light illuminates on the dash.

Is there a process to "priming" the oil pump or anything like that I need to be aware of?

The oil tank is in the boat, and it has a primer bulb on it to "pump" the oil up.... I assume that pretty much takes care of it?

Evinrude57

Cadet
At least it wasnt Pennzoil. They need some type of synthetic 2 stroke oil, not necessarily the Evinrude stuff but i would highly recommend the XD100, its great oil.

There is a process for priming the oil with the diagnostic software, if pump up the oil with the primer bulb till it comes out the end of the hose before you attach it to the engine, the should get almost all the air out. As long as no one has disassembled the oil system on the engine that should be good enough. IF there is any doubt you can mix your first tank of gas 50:1, you might foul your plugs doing that.

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
. IF there is any doubt you can mix your first tank of gas 50:1, you might foul your plugs doing that.

not safe to rely on pre-mix alone for this engine. If the oiling system is defunkt, the crankcase bearings will fail

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Fouling the plugs wouldn't be the issue running it on 50:1, destroying the motor would be.

daselbee

Commander
Ooopppssss.....no they are not plug and play as was suggested earlier. The coefficients for each injector must be programmed into the EMM.
You will have a tough go of this if you do not really understand all the details here regarding EMMs and injectors.
Be careful.