Head for 140 johnson

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What cylinder heads would fit this motor? Looking to buy new heads for my boat thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Go to shop.evinrude.com, look up your motor and then compare #'s from other years.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
BRP says they're different between the 140 and 115. Thought you were OK to use the gouged one?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Nearly all of the crossflow 99.6 cubic inch heads will fit your engine. The thing is the 140 engines always had high compression heads. Maybe 120 lbs or more. The 90 and 115 engines were the low compression heads. So, yes, a 115 head will fit, but you will see somewhat decreased performance it you run it that way. The original 140 heads are long since discontinued and many of the hot rodders have bought up used 140 heads. Personally, I'd be looking for one of those old heads, or even a pair of heads off the old 135 crossflow-they are even higher compression. Could be over 130. If you do purchase any crossflow head from 1985 and newer they are all an even lower compression head, called a "bathtub" head. These will have compression 95-105 range. The jets in your carbs were installed by the factory just for those high compression 140 heads. If you go to low compression heads, you may want to jet the original factory high speed jets down one or two sizes.

Hennysemitara

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nearly all of the crossflow 99.6 cubic inch heads will fit your engine. The thing is the 140 engines always had high compression heads. Maybe 120 lbs or more. The 90 and 115 engines were the low compression heads. So, yes, a 115 head will fit, but you will see somewhat decreased performance it you run it that way. The original 140 heads are long since discontinued and many of the hot rodders have bought up used 140 heads. Personally, I'd be looking for one of those old heads, or even a pair of heads off the old 135 crossflow-they are even higher compression. Could be over 130. If you do purchase any crossflow head from 1985 and newer they are all an even lower compression head, called a "bathtub" head. These will have compression 95-105 range. The jets in your carbs were installed by the factory just for those high compression 140 heads. If you go to low compression heads, you may want to jet the original factory high speed jets down one or two sizes.

they got brand new one right now for 200 on ebay,,,,and i still gonna need a water jacket cover...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Are the heads on fleabay head the exact same part number as the one on your 140?