Evinrude 9.9 recoil starter rope

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My old 9.9 (1978 10824m) is running great. So well, in fact, that we've worn out the starter rope.

Quick question, how much rope does the spool hold? I plan on going down to the lawnmower parts shop, where they sell the rope in bulk.

I've got the crazy idea that the more rope I put on the spool, the easier it will be to pull--larger diameter, you know. So I want to buy enough.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
So I am not 100% sure exactly how much rope it will hold (and be careful, too much rope will actually make it harder to spin freely), but if you look up the original part number for the rope on your motor (Part # 322236) it shows that they provided it in a length of 71 1/2". So if you are buying it by the foot and buy 6 feet, you should be good to go.

Cheers.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow. 6 feet? I bet I don't have four feet in there right now. Looks like it has broken before, and someone just tied the handle to the remainder.

I'll buy 10 feet, and mark it at 6 feet before I start. Then I'll see how much it will hold without binding, and whether the extra rope helps in any way.

I'll post the results back here after Labor Day weekend, so the community will have the info.

Thanks everybody!

Tag

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's the specification, in case someone is looking:

71.5" high quality 5/64" nylon rope.