70 model johnson 115 power pack replacement help

Changed out power pack on my johnson 115 and now it only wants to spark when I disengage the starter, for that split second I quit turning the key forward.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
what was wrong with the initial powerpack? Did you double check you got the right replacement?

Bosunsmate I believe so, used iboats and marine engine to cross reference my year and model. The reason why I changed it was because of a random high idle that would come and go. You could only replicate it by tapping on the original pulse pack case. #Bosunsmate

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Check you get spark while cranking. You can do this by jumping the solenoid at the engine in case you dont have a helper. It may be that its a faulty new powerpack, that does happen although infrequently to say the least

Bosunsmate I'm starting to think that also because one of the troubleshooting test is to touch the two sensor wires together at the pack and all cylinders should spark, this is not happening.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Have you done a continuity test of the key switch? If these ever get rainwater in them, the act up. Esp if the switch is really old. Bosun's suggest test is a good one. Disconnect the plug from the control box harness and jump the starter direct.

emdsapmgr Bosunsmate I have not done a continuity check on switch because of not having issues before changing pack. I have 12vdc at the input wire for the power pack with the key on and it dips to around 9.5vdc when cranking. But correct me if I'm wrong but with the key forward and twelve volts being supplied to the power pack shouldn't I induce a spark when touching the timing sensor wires together as the test suggest?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
emdsapmgr Bosunsmate I have not done a continuity check on switch because of not having issues before changing pack. I have 12vdc at the input wire for the power pack with the key on and it dips to around 9.5vdc when cranking. But correct me if I'm wrong but with the key forward and twelve volts being supplied to the power pack shouldn't I induce a spark when touching the timing sensor wires together as the test suggest?
Im not sure, electronics have so many tricks to them i only know the ones i have looked at directly myself, even then im not overly confident. However i would of thought the timing base wires require some voltage sent down them to fire the pack like what the timing base does when the engines working.

Also ive never thought i could fire a pack on 12v, it needs the massive voltage from the stator supplied by having the engine cranked.

If its the cdi troubleshooter you are going off they are normally excellent.

If you put back on your old pack and have spark then i would say your new pack is defintely faulty

Bosunsmate put the old power pack back on tonight and it started right up but high random idle is still present. So maybe they sold me a dud or the wrong model. I have a 1970 johnson 115 electric shift. See what you come up with.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You will get a random idle rpm if the butterflys from both carbs are not perfectly in sync. For instance if the butteflys on one carb are closed and the other butterflys are ajar, you will get an up/down rpm fluctuation.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Bosunsmate put the old power pack back on tonight and it started right up but high random idle is still present. So maybe they sold me a dud or the wrong model. I have a 1970 johnson 115 electric shift. See what you come up with.
Ive no idea sorry on what part numbers right. Ring up a few shops and ask them. It does sound like a dud though and that testing sounds really unusual to me to touch the timer base things together.
Id look into what EMD says too