1978 johnson 35 hp

Old P'Tooner

Cadet
35EL78R, Bought a 16' Crestliner recently knowing the starter was bad. Or at least that was what I was told. Would not turn over w the plugs in. Ok fine bought a new starter installed it one wire at a time, so no cross wiring could happen - Nothing, same as when he delivered it. Ok, maybe its the solenoid ,one wire at a time, so no cross wiring could happen , Done - nothing. hot jumped the sol. to the first small stud - Nothing, (old hotrod guy, so I've jumped more than on Ford that way) BUT when I jumped the starter side to the hot side of the sol. (big studs). VIOLA! popped off and ran Key does nothing, but turn on the ign. No cranking, checked all the in line fuses, (2) and replaced them just to be safe- Nothing. What the Heck?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like there may be a neutral safety switch that isn't set correctly or even missing. The only way a starter solenoid works with the key is if the engine is in the neutral position for the safety switch to make ground for the starter solenoid. If you trace the other small terminal wire off the start solenoid (not the key switch small terminal) you should see that it goes to a switch that only is shorted to ground if it is in neutral. Just a could be issues. :noidea:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Find a wiring diagram for your motor and check it against yours.

Old P'Tooner

Cadet
Not a safe thing to do I understand, but grounding that wire post "should" get it to turn over maybe? I mean just to check that out? Out of the water at this point (in a barrel). I have been moving the power lever back n forth w the key in the start position. Nothing changes. Been looking online for a schematic. I have come close enough to spot that neutral safety switch. I'll trace it back tomorrow thanks

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Sounds like there may be a neutral safety switch that isn't set correctly or even missing. The only way a starter solenoid works with the key is if the engine is in the neutral position for the safety switch to make ground for the starter solenoid. If you trace the other small terminal wire off the start solenoid (not the key switch small terminal) you should see that it goes to a switch that only is shorted to ground if it is in neutral. Just a could be issues. :noidea:

Problem with that is he jumped 12v+ to the small terminal of a new solenoid. Only 3 things can prevent that from working: bad out of box solenoid, wasn't really 12v+ that got jumped, or bad solenood ground.

Oops, youre right gm, the safety switch on those old ones is the solenoid ground. I didnt read your whole post

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I think the safety switch is on the positive side of the starting circuit, probably under the shift lever (at the motor). If that's right, the switch is easily tested -- check for continuity when the button is pressed/released. I think the circuit is closed (button pressed -- continuity) when the lever is at the neutral detent, and open (no continuity) when the lever is in the forward or reverse position. Unless I have that backwards.....

Should be able to reach in with probes to get at the switch wire connections, if I have the location right. You might have to detach the switch to pull it out a bit for access.

Good news and bad news if you don't have a switch. Good news is that the switch is not your current problem. Bad news is that it could be a future problem. (Starting in gear is a tad dangerous, particularly since you will also be able to start it in gear and at WOT).

Additionally, a PO might have substituted an auto solenoid, which grounds differently. The correct solenoid should ground through the mounting bracket.

Old P'Tooner

Cadet
I got a new solenoid from the local Johnson dealer to replace his. Had an old stock one on the shelf. ditto on the leaving the NSS off , BAD idea. tried that on a few cars BITD.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
well....not sure now on either the solenoid grounding or the safety switch. Haven't come up with a wiring diagram to confirm, and Jakedaawg and gm280 may be giving better wiring advice. (Don't want you to short something out on my account!)

boobie

Supreme Mariner
As I said previously, find a wiring diagram for your motor and it will take the guess work out.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
What shape are the actual battery cables in? If they are original your ground from block to bat - could be suspect.

At this point i think i would double check part number of new solenoid, sometimes an inexperienced or younger parts person just visually compares old to new.

If that checks out, bench test solenoid.

Last edited: