1978 Johnson 6hp

Blastow

Cadet
My engine runs but it isn't spitting out water like it is supposed to. I see the exhaust coming out of the hole in the shaft and I believe the water is supposed to come out of a little hose right under the cowling. Correct me if I am wrong. I ran it for a while to see if it needed to heat up in order to spit water but eventually exhaust started coming out of the little hose and it dropped a couple drops of water. What do I need to do to fix it as for I am a first time boat owner. Thanks everyone!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: to iboats Blastow...

Are you certain you engine has a pee tell outlet? Some engines around that years didn't. So if you can't see an actual fitting for one, you could be seeing something else. The water comes out with the exhaust as well. :noidea:

Blastow

Cadet
i am not certain and i have been trying to research to find out. the videos i have seen of this specific engine are pissing.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
convert

Elbow #37 and hose #20 are the telltale.

It might just be blocked so try unblocking it first but be carefull with that elbow it's only plastic

AFAIK it should start peeing straight away.

Blastow

Cadet
thanks vic s.! does the hose that goes into the impeller housing the same hose that comes out under the cowl? i have tried blowing in the hose below the cowl and i can hear it coming out the lower unit it but doesnt seem to be the hose into the impeller housing. however when i blow in the hose in that goes into the impeller housing it does seem to go out the hose below the cowl. so i know that is confusing but maybe it is meant to be one way? also the air pressure coming out doesnt seem to coincide with the pressure i should be creating.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
thanks vic s.! does the hose that goes into the impeller housing the same hose that comes out under the cowl? i have tried blowing in the hose below the cowl and i can hear it coming out the lower unit it but doesnt seem to be the hose into the impeller housing. however when i blow in the hose in that goes into the impeller housing it does seem to go out the hose below the cowl. so i know that is confusing but maybe it is meant to be one way? also the air pressure coming out doesnt seem to coincide with the pressure i should be creating.
Sorry but I dont know what you mean by " the hose that goes into the impeller housing"

However if you can blow up the telltale hose and hear the air escaping via the lower unit it confirms that the tell tale is not blocked.

I guess therefore your next step must be to replace the water pump impeller.
The manual at http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manu...inrude.html#/0 should include all the info you need to guide you through the process, although wont be anywhere as good as the official manual that can be obtained from Ken Cook at https://www.outboardbooks.com/

Last edited:

Blastow

Cadet
i took the impeller wheel out and it seems in great condition. the previous owner used a piece of cardboard as a gasket/seal. could that be causing it to not ****? what other things could be causing it not to ****? i just dont want to spend unnecessary money (i know thats impossible with boating). any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Blastow

Cadet
i can feel exhaust/air coming out of the pee hole. i will order the seal just to try it out..

Blastow

Cadet
ok so the diagram does not show a gasket between the plate and the housing. do i even need the gasket? would removing the cardboard fix it?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
ok so the diagram does not show a gasket between the plate and the housing. do i even need the gasket? would removing the cardboard fix it?
There should not be a gasket between the impeller housing and the plate.

If there is it will create a gap between the top/bottom of the impeller vanes and the housing/ plate and the pump will not pump effectively .

The housing should be a good fit to the plate. If either is distorted or damaged the pump will not pump effectively.

Rotate the drive shaft clockwise as the impeller houming is lowered over the impeller and the bolts tightened to ensure that the impeller is not damaged

Blastow

Cadet
Removing the cardboard gasket seal between the housing and plate, did not work. So i am still stuck.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
How are you testing the engine? Are you in a lake or in a barrel of water? I do not think water muffs work well on these small engines. ( At least not on my 96 6hp Evinrude).
If you have it in water / or know muffs work ok and no tell tail, I think it is time to remove the thermostat and see of the water pump can pump to the head. that will focus the investigation in the lower unit or head.

Is this a fresh or salt water used motor?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the water level in your test bucket about 6 inches above the water pump , yes or no ?

Blastow

Cadet
i have it in a 55 gallon barrel and its definitely in enough water. so i take out the thermostat and try to run it? and it is a fresh water engine.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
i have it in a 55 gallon barrel and its definitely in enough water. so i take out the thermostat and try to run it? and it is a fresh water engine.
I am not sure what taking out the thermostat will tell you.

If there is no water coming from the telltale then the pump is not pumping or at least not pumping water to the power head..

You can test the pump itself by immersing the gearcase assembly in water and spinning it with an electric drill attached to the drive shaft.

If you get a fountain it shows the pump is OK and you need to look at the water tube and the grommets top and bottom.
If no fountain then back to looking at the pump itself ..... you are sure that the impeller drive pin is in position ?

Blastow

Cadet
It does fountain, how much of a fountain is it supposed to be? i have blown through the water tube. and how snug does the grommet need to be on the water tube? i think its fine but i dont know what it is supposed to be like.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
I am not sure what taking out the thermostat will tell you.
My thoughts on that is that you would be able to gauge the amount of corrosion there and in those passages, you could also reverse flow water from the thermostat hole down the tubes to the impeller to see if there is a blockage. If you run it with out the thermostat, you can see if the impeller work, without using the tell tail ( which is also showing the problem, Double confirmation.) That is what I would do.

Blastow

Cadet
water does not seem to be making it to the thermostat. how big of a fountain should it be or how long should it take to tell tail?