1968 Johnson 65hp starter

Blastow

Cadet
Hi everyone I have a 1968 Johnson 65hp. I know my starter needs to be rebuilt or I need to find another starter. I am not certain the starter will fix my engine so that's why I want to find a cost effective solution. I have brought my starter to a local electric shop and hey gave me an estimate for $176 to rebuild it and the best I can find online so far for another rebuild is $200. Does anyone know of a a place that rebuilds for $100 or under? Or a place that sells the starter for $100 or under? The starter is mgd-4001. I have also heard there is alternative starters that fit, does anyone know those model numbers? Any help is greatly appreciated. My motor ran last year and I spent most of the summer restoring the inside of the boat and now I cant get on the water because of the engine. Thanks guys!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Have you tried fixing it yourself? Sometimes they just need a good cleaning (think spray electrical cleaner), sometimes new brushes.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Dang, depending on where you are, it would seem you could buy a whole motor for that kind of money. Nobody wants the old V-4 Electramatic motors which use the same starter.

Blastow

Cadet
this is my first boat and motor. i suppose there is no hurt in me trying to clean the starter. I just dont know how the parts are supposed to look in the first place. and there isnt any motors around me for $200 or even $400.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Well, as it's a first boat, are you sure it's the starter? Many times it's a bad connection or bad battery. The standard approach is to charge the battery, and clean each of the wiring connections until they shine. Start with the battery leads, if you haven't done that.

Blastow

Cadet
I am really new but i am pretty positive it is the starter as for i have had others with more knowledge look at it too and i have add the stater apart and it is pretty corroded inside an needs new brushes i believe. i have been trying to do as much research i can to become more knowledgeable. thanks oldboat1