1987 Evinrude XP150 bogging issue

dbenner

Recruit
Hello. I have been having issues with my 1987 XP150 Evinrude. The boat has been bogging at different times. Sometimes when I go to put the boat on plane, it will bog. Usually I have to put it in neutral and rev it up and then throttle down and it goes. At some times, it will do a strange thing where when it bogs, it'll keep trying to pick up but won't. So to explain it, imagine if you unplugged the gas line and then plugged it in, then removed it, then plugged it in, over and over again when at full throttle. So bog, boat picks up, then bog, boat picks up, then bog, then boat picks up over and over again every other second. It's like it keeps trying to go but just keeps on bogging down. The last scenario where it bogs down is when at WOT. I'll be going 50 mph and then the boat will start to bog. I have to put it in neutral and pick it up again. It almost never bogs down at half or 3/4 throttle, only when trying to get on plane or at wide open.

I have replaced the primer bulb, changed spark plugs, taken apart and blown out carb (carb looked clean and it looks like seals were recently replaced), put a brand new VRO pump in, fixed an air leak at the vacuum switch, made sure the gas tank wasn't vacuuming, and emptied the fuel filter. The motor is on a ranger 373V. I realize this bogging topic has been brought up frequently. However, I have not seen a post with someone explaining the rapid bog the pick up then bog then pick up scenario. At this point, I am starting to think it is electrical, but I want other opinions. Thanks!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You say "carb", assuming you mean you completley dissassembled and cleaned all the "carbs". Including all the jets and whatnot.

Have you done a compression check?

Have you done an open airgap sparkcheck?

Even though.its brand new fuel, pull a fuel sample from the connection at the cowl. Put uy in a clear container and check it for phase seperation.

With engine slightly tilted squeze bulb untill firm. Gently keep squeezing, does bulb continue to depress?

Plumb 4" clear 3/8" id hose in before vro. Tee in a vacuum guage. You are looking for less than 4"hg and no air bubbles in clear section.

These are the places to start.

Welcome to iboats. There are many here to help but answers to simple tests will be required. This is solveable.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Also, beg borrow or steal a portable tank and known good fuel line. Run on that to rule out tank and vent and external fuel line.

Last edited: