1987 Evinrude 8hp Please help

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. I have a two questions. I know you guys would know what the possible diagnosis would be. When I don't know when I will be able to take the boat out again. I have always been told to burn the remaining fuel in the carb. To keep the carb from Gumming up. When I do so, and try to restart. The only way the motor will restart is by putting small amount of premix directly into the combustion chambers. I rebuild the carb thourly. Still have the same issue. The motor will cold start fine if I don't burn the remaining fuel in the carb. Question one is why is the carb doing this? And two is it necessary to burn the remaining fuel in the carb, when the motor is going to sit for a couple weeks? Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

interalian

Commander
Squeezing the primer bulb until firm will refill a drained/burned off carb and the motor should start normally. Are you doing that? And I've been told you shouldn't run the fuel out until the motor dies, rather just until it stumbles. Fuel/oil are mixed and when it's in the final throes of stalling, there's no lubrication getting added. A couple of weeks shouldn't matter to the fuel left in the bowl. Months is a different story.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The best thing you can do for the motor is to run ALL the fuel out when it is going to sit unused for a while.----------Do not worry about there not being any oil in the motor when it is stalling.----That is becaue most folks do not understand lubrication in a 2 stroke engine.-----It is one of those tall tales that will not go away.-----Then review the starting procedure using the primer unit on the motor for start-up.--------How are you using this primer unit on start-up.--------Are you just pulling it out or pumping with this primer ??

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I do continue to choke/prime and restart until motor will no longer sputters on pull. As far as cold start procedure I make sure the primer bulb is very firm. Then I pull the chock/primer fully out 2 times and attempt to pull start. When the motor doesn't start I'll pump the primer a few times and pull the cord. The motor will cranked on one max two pulls if I don't burn remaining fuel.

Last edited:

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have always burned off the fuel in the Carb. I own a 2 HP Johnson which I stow in the back of my small hatchback auto. I don't want fuel leaking out so I burn it off. I put the motor in with the Fuel Hose up, the Petcock and the Fuel Tank Vent closed. I also try to have the fuel in the tank below the level of the filler cap when the motor is laying on it's side. I also think there is less chance for the carb to get unwanted sludge when the fuel is burned off. When I store for the winter, I store the motor upright with the fuel tank full of stabalized fuel mix.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Test the operation of your fuel primer.----There is no reason for the motor to be hard to start after emptying the carburetor.----Perhaps your primer unit on the motor / carburetor is not working as designed !

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Test the operation of your fuel primer.----There is no reason for the motor to be hard to start after emptying the carburetor.----Perhaps your primer unit on the motor / carburetor is not working as designed !
I was thinking the same thing. I have the same motor and mine starts first pull without exception, even after sitting for a year. When you are pulling out on the primer know you should feel restriction as the fuel is being injected into the intake, if you don't feel any restriction, there is likely a problem with the primer.

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I do feel plenty of resistance when pulling the choke/primer. Every time I pull the primer out gas sprays up towards the flywheel through the nipple. Not sure of the mechanical name for the part. Areocook you said you have the same motor. The part I'm speaking of is a blue plastic. Looks like the end of a syringe for liquids. Is the gas supose to spray up out of that nipple like I decribe?

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Fuel should not spray up toward the flywheel. It sound like something is either broken or has come apart. I'll take a look at mine when I get home tonight to see if I can offer any more insight.
I just looked at the part schematic for the primer system and I think I see the nipple that you are referring to. It should have a hose on it that goes to the intake manifold.

Last edited:

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You are exactly right Aerocook. There was a loose hose that came off the motor right were the carb connects to the motor. So i connected the mystery hose to the nipple. I always thought it was a drainage hose of some sort. I'm no master mechanic.Thank you for your help and support! This is the second time you have helped me. Wow Great forum your a good man for taking the time to help me and others. Thanks again.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
Sounds like the loose hose is the primer hose. Hook it back up and try it. I'd say you're OK to drain the bowl completely and try a dry start too.

(And I'll be running my motors dry going forward, although with my V4 I always just drain the carbs by removing the screws in the bottom of the bowls.)

Tekin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Areocook, I love this little motor. If something major was to happen to this motor in the future. Would this forum offer me guidence through the process?

interalian

Commander
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you drain yours, just saying what I do on my 140 as it has accessible fuel drains. I have a 2hp that I'll run dry going forward - that motor will run for 10 minutes just on what's in the carb (!).